Monitor screen does not reveal full window.

pcbobby 15:05 22 Apr 07

I carried out a clean XP install on my daughter’s PC.
The monitor screen does not reveal full window.
For example, there is a black half-inch margin around the screen edge.
Therefore, if you take the Desktop for example, you cannot see the Clock, or the scroll bar on the right when trying to move up or down the page etc.

I cannot find anything in the Display to help, other than increasing the resolution from 800x600 to 1024x 768. But the font is too small.
There was no problem with Win 98SE.

(The monitor is a ten-old 17” Gateway)

Is there a way to resolve this problem?

Stuartli 15:10 22 Apr 07

Try pressing F11 which toggles between full screen and including the Toolbar and Taskbar.

Otherwise you may need to use the montior's control menu to alter the height and width at a particular resolution from Display Properties (ensure that Windows retains any new settings selected and without rebooting).

pcbobby 17:53 22 Apr 07

Stuartli, I could not access PCA earlier.

Tried F11 - no joy.

For some strange reason, the monitor does have facilities for adjusting vertical or horizontal movement.

Went to Display properties, but not sure what to do. Tried Advanced settings, but no joy.

Stuartli 18:15 22 Apr 07

I presume you mean the monitor doesn't have facilities for adjusting vertical or horizontal movement.

This seems a bit strange. However, depending on what graphics card you have and its drivers, there should be means to make the adjustments available.

We need to know your graphics card and the drivers being used to be able to help.

pcbobby 18:28 22 Apr 07

Stuartli, yes, it is strange that there is no method of adjustment vertical and horizontal movement. I even looked under the base.
The monitor is vx700 Gateway.

Re graphics, would this show up on the Belarc list?

Woolwell 18:58 22 Apr 07

The website click here for a vx700 show that it does have vertical and horizontal adjustment.

pcbobby 19:16 22 Apr 07

Woolwell, thank you. The monitor on display certainly has the correct reference, But my daughter's model is about ten years -old, with 5 buttons on the front panel.

But, we have found the you press the same buttons: once for contast, and twice for vertical and horizontal.

Much obliged for you contribution.
will report back when we have tried it out.

pcbobby 19:32 22 Apr 07

We are delighted to report that the monitor is now back to normal.

Many thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac