Monitor resolutions... 00:15 04 May 06

The native resolution of my 19inch flat screen is 1280x1024

Since getting my new PC a few months ago I have left it as set, with a resolution of 1024x768

Should I alter my PC settings to the screen's native resolution, or would it cause any problems with refresh rates or anything?

mgmcc 00:47 04 May 06

TFT monitors should normally be used with their optimum settings - resolution and refresh rate. Any deviation from these can have unpredictable results and will almost certainly result in a loss of clarity. The refresh rate is typically 60Hz for TFT screens.

woodchip 00:52 04 May 06

It should be OK as it is. If it's better for you eyes 00:55 04 May 06

It's just that I read somewhere that a TFT should use it's native resolution, but I don't want to muck up the system by tinkering. I just left it as it was when unpacked.

FatboySlim71 10:17 04 May 06

I have a 17 inch TFT that's at 1280x1024, so your 19 inch TFT could maybe take a higher resolution, as I don't have a 19 inch TFT to try it on I could not say if it would one way or another, If you set your TFT to 1280x1024, you will notice that the icons are smaller ie it can show more on screen, and also the picture/image on your TFT will be sharper,1024x768 is normally the resolution for a 15 inch monitor.

Stuartli 10:47 04 May 06

>>1024x768 is normally the resolution for a 15 inch monitor.>>

This is actually more normal for a 17in monitor.

IIRC the native resolution and refresh rate for a 19in TFT is the same as for a 17in - the only "benefit" is a larger screen area. 11:47 04 May 06

and it looks really good, although the text seems smaller. Unfortunately it only lasts about a minute then reverts itself back to the original setting for some reason.

Stuartli 12:16 04 May 06

The higher the resolution the smaller the text, icons etc...:-)

You could, of course, alter these afterwards using the various configuration means.

However, I would stick to the native resolution and refresh rate - they are provided for good reasons. 13:06 04 May 06

is 1280 x 1024 but I have never altered the PC settings which are 1024 x 768.

When I tried it the PC reset after a minute.

mgmcc 13:11 04 May 06

<<< When I tried it the PC reset after a minute >>>

When you change the resolution setting, you need to confirm the new setting, otherwise it automatically reverts to the previous one. This is in case you select an unsupported setting and the monitor goes blank, preventing you from changing anything manually.

Stuartli 13:11 04 May 06

Then you probably haven't clocked on Apply and/or OK.

If you alter the resolution etc Windows will display in that mode for a short time unless you OK it. You should see a message panel during that short period.

There's also just the possibility that your onboard or separate graphics card is not capable of 1280x1024, but unlikely as it's a recent system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…