Monitor Resolution - sequel

guesswho2 21:35 26 Jan 09

Having just read CSJ's post of Sun 25/1/09 I am wondering if I'm headed for the same problem re matching a flat screen monitor to a computer. I'm thinking of replacing the original CRT supplied with my Evesham PC about 4 years ago.
I have updated the ATI RADEON 9550 driver and note that the maximum resolution available is listed as 1280x1024.
Could someone advise if that means that I must look for a flat screen with that resolution?

Pesala 20:32 31 Jan 09

Your graphics card won't drive a monitor of a higher resolution at its native resolution, and LCD monitors are best at their native resolution.

Your card would probably have a setting for 1280 x 900 for a widescreen monitor, which would be cheaper than 1280x1024.

If you want 1600x1200 etc., then perhaps a new graphic card would solve that problem.

T0SH 20:55 31 Jan 09

Try going to display properties settings then advanced on the monitor tab untick the box

"Hide modes this monitor cannot display"

Then look again at the available resolution settings

Please note this setting is on the monitor tab ? the reason for this is that within reason resolution settings limits are set by the monitor not the graphics cards

Cheers HC

guesswho2 10:59 01 Feb 09

Thanks Pesala and TOSH. I am advised by a techy at PC World that my graphics card should be able to cope. I'll call it a day here and mark this resolved.
Many thanks for your replies.

Stuartli 14:16 01 Feb 09

I also have a Radeon 9550 - it is capable of very much higher resolutions than you state.

Top resolution detailed is 3200x1200 in 32bit True Colour at 85MHz refresh rate.

If you right click an empty area on the Desktop>Properties>Settings tab>Advanced button>Adapter tab>click on List All Modes, you can find out for yourself what combinations are supported.

There's a new ATi driver out by the way, 9.1.

I just use this driver in combination with ATi Tray Tools and avoid the very much larger Catalyst software, but with similar results.

guesswho2 16:35 01 Feb 09

Hi Stuartli, thanks for coming in. I always look out for posts and regard them with the ultimate respect.
I have tried twice, unsuccessfully to update my 9550 and last week thought I'd managed it with DriverMax. However, when I refer to Device Manager now I see the driver listed as 8.421.0.0.
In a previous post you refer to ATI Tray Tools and the Catalyst software and that is beyond my comprehension. Is there an idiots guide to driver updating?
Before I lash out on a flat screen, I must understand the resolution problem. On my present CRT List All Modes leads to a maximum of 1280x1024 True Colour)32bit) 60Hz.
A PC World tech. guy says that the 9550 would be able to handle 1680x1050 which is the one I'm thinking of. What do you reckon.
I would appreciate it if you could get back to me.
Ken

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now