Monitor Resolution

CSJ 13:48 25 Jan 09

I have just bought a new Advent P22W 22" TFT monitor which I connected to my laptop using the VGA port. Everything was fine and I set the resolution to 1680x1050 - display was lovely and crisp. On restarting the system the next day this resolution was no longer available, the maximum being 1280x1024 or 1600x1200. I'm having to use the lower res. which is blurry and squashed because the monitor will not support the higher res. I have updated the display drivers but this made no difference. Any ideas?

Technotiger 14:26 25 Jan 09

Perhaps your laptops graphics card is just not up to the job?

CSJ 14:33 25 Jan 09

Thanks for the reply - if the card is not up to it how come it worked initially?

DieSse 15:59 25 Jan 09

Try this -

Go to Display Properties - Settings - Advanced

Click the Monitor tab. Untick the box that says "Hide modes etc"

Click the Adapter tab - now see if your 1680x1050 mode is listed.

CSJ 18:40 25 Jan 09

DieSse - tried that but the "Hide modes, etc" section is grayed out (although I'm sure it wasn't previously). Anyway, there is no tick in the box.

Technotiger 19:07 25 Jan 09

It only worked 'properly' for one day - that might have been enough to upset the Graphics card. I would make enquiries with the person/place you bought the monitor.

Woolwell 19:40 25 Jan 09

The clues here are Advent and laptop. Advent = DSG (Dixons, Currys, PC World).

How are you setting up the graphics to view the monitor on your laptop? Are you using just the monitor and bypassing the laptop display or are you having 2 displays?

What are the graphics on the laptop?

CSJ 20:28 25 Jan 09

Woolwell - is Advent not good news then? I am using the monitor with the laptop (Sony Vaio with Intel 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset, 128Mb) as a two screen setup. I was previously using an old 15" TFT screen for dual display for at least 18 months with no probs.

Technotiger - I will talk to PC World tomorrow.

Woolwell 20:44 25 Jan 09

There are no major problem with Advent but I suspect that PC World will simply state that there is nothing wrong with the monitor and that there is a problem with the laptop. The graphics ought to support what you are doing.

I suspect that you have done this. Disconnect the monitor. Make sure that your laptop display is correct (resolution, etc) then re-connect the monitor.

Woolwell 20:45 25 Jan 09

Another thought - how much RAM do you have?

CSJ 07:55 26 Jan 09

Yes, I have done this - re-connected; just the same. I have 1Gb of RAM.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…