Monitor Problems-Please help!

BennyBoy1983 12:31 22 Jan 07

I have a 3 yr old Dell PC, an ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB graphics card and a Hyundai Image quest N91W 19 inch widescreen monitor. All of the above has been working fine for a few months but recently strange green and purple lines have started to appear on the screen. Its hard to describe; like little green and purple bar codes appearing all over the screen. My first thought was a virus, I ran Bullguard, which updates regularly and says no viruses. When these lines appear I'm not trying to do anything that requires alot of memory nor does the PC slow down or stop working or crash, the lines appear and the PC carries on fine. So I thought maybe its the monitor or the cable, I've checked all of these and I'm fairy sure these aren't the problem. The really confusing part is sometimes i turn the PC on and everything is fine, no lines, and sometimes they are there, there doesn't seem to be any logic to this problem! I am currently defragging, thought maybe this would help but I'm all out of ideas, any suggestions? Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance

Kate B 12:39 22 Jan 07

Try degaussing the monitor - there should be an option to do so somewhere in the monitor's menu.

vinnyT 12:47 22 Jan 07

Poss heat related, open the side of your case and make sure that;

1: the fan on the gfx card is spinning

2: that it is spinning freely ie that there are no cables that could be impeading the fans movement

3: that there is no dust build up on the fan or gfx card itself (while you're there, check for dust on/around cpu fan/hs), as dust is a great insulator and the temp will quickly rise if there is too much of it in your case.

Your gfx card drivers may have become corrupted, try dloading the latest for your card.

There are a number of things that can cause the symptoms you have described, sometimes it's only by trial and error that you discover the exact cause, but the most likely those I have suggested above.

If they don't help, post back and someone will try to help.

BennyBoy1983 15:41 22 Jan 07

Thanks guys for your comments, i'm not sure what degaussing the monitor is, there is nothing on the menu of the monitor settings, i heard that some monitors do this every time u turn it on? mine is quite new so maybe does this. I have got the new drivers for my gfx card and also opened my pc, taken out the gfx card and cleaned it, there was alot of duct build up around the heat sink and fan, and also generally cleared the dust away from inside the case. All seems to be well now, but will no for sure if this doesn't happen again, thanks again! you guys are the best!

As your monitor is a flat screen LCD you won't find a degauss facility, this only applies to CRT monitors.
The problem will almost certainly be related to your graphics card so follow the advice about overheating and reloading the drivers.

vinnyT 11:32 23 Jan 07

Welcome, get back to us if the prob persists.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac