monitor problems

stevedunham 23:12 06 Apr 03

My pc has a Compaq mv500 monitor some 4-5 years of age. The problem is this, every so often I hear a click and the image jumps and then settles back to normal. Any ideas out there?

Giggle n' Bits 23:45 06 Apr 03

If there is a Degauze option for the monitor try and deguaze the screen. But Monitors are not really repairable.

Tog 07:49 07 Apr 03

I would guess you have a "dry" solder joint somewhere in th HT circuit.

Some piece of insect life has crawled into your monitor and died, providing a path for arcing.

In the first case, it's just a matter of renewing the solder joint. In the second case, you will need a vacuum cleaner. Either way, if you don't have experience with monitors don't take the back off. Capacitors can stay charged for a long time, especially if the surrounding circuitry is duff. You definitely don't want to find out how it feels to get zapped.

BlueMeanie 20:40 08 Apr 03

Its probably a EHT arc.

The connector that provides 15,000 volts or so (yes fifteen thousand volts) is probably arcing. This connector fits into the back of the glass screen, and dust and dirt and lead to a conductive path.
A technican can clean this connector and apply anti-static cleaner.

But don't try yourself. The monitor can store this charge for several days... I speak from experiance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…