Monitor problem

dawnal 08:48 06 Nov 09

I have recently installed Windows XP, from a disc I bought, on my wifes PC.

I bought it because the PC previously had Windows XP pre-installed. and when I tried to reinstall with the master discs I had made from the installation they wouldn't work.

Since doing this install the monitor turns itself off after about two or three hours of playing The Sims, which is what the PC is mainly used for.

This never happened with the original installation.

Can anyone suggest any reason why irt might be happening.

Thanks
shuggee

Technotiger 08:52 06 Nov 09

Go to Control Panel>Power Options and check that all three options are set to Never, then click on Apply and OK out.

dawnal 09:21 06 Nov 09

Thanks Technotiger.

I've tried that. There were four boxes. The monitor one was set to turn off after 20 mins. I've changed that to never. I'll have to wait until my wife plays The Sims again to see if it works, though, probably tomorrow.

Technotiger 09:54 06 Nov 09

Of course, in the top line in Power Options - Power schemes - mine is set to Always On, the other three are all set to Never ... I just don't like interruptions :-)

Anyway, I expect your wife will be able to play to her hearts content now!

dawnal 00:46 07 Nov 09

I've set everything to always on and never off. Unfortunately, the monitor is still turning itself off, sometimes within minutes and it happens frequently.

I'm not sure whether its anything to do with The Sims game. The problem there is that is what the wife uses it for. She hardly does anything else apart from check her email occasionally.

I'll wait until she isn't using it and use it myself so I can test it under other conditions.

If anyone has any suggestions in the meantime, however, I'd be grateful to hear them.

Technotiger 08:18 07 Nov 09

Can you try the monitor on a different PC?

Or, you could try uninstalling the Sims, and then re-installing it. If you try this, use Revo un-installer -

During the un-install process you may be asked if you want to re-start your computer, DO NOT re-start at this point, let Revo continue. You will eventually get the option to Select All and to Delete - DO SO. You will be given the same options a second time, again DO SO, do not be picky, just accept all that Revo chooses.
After clicking on Finish, re-start your computer.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…