Monitor Problem ?

Belfix 20:06 02 Jul 09

Hi,
Downloaded an old "re-written" favourite game of mine - Elite from classic-retro-games.com, installed it and played it. Site suggested by Which?. However I now have a problem after trying to "escape" it and rebooting. It will only reboot a far as the Windows XP splash screen and then stops with no message and a blank screen. Safe mode works ok as far as it goes. Windows Directory Services Restore appears to boot each time ok albeit with no screen background and the screen fonts in a more manageable size. Spyware Doctor and Zonelabs scans report no virus's/spyware. I have removed as far as I know all traces of the download etc and even restored to an earlier save point but to no avail. I am assuming it's something to do with the video driver?. Anyone with any idea how to cure this would be appreciated.
rgards
Richard

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:39 02 Jul 09

Uninstall video driver in safe mode then reboot to normal mode and reinstall driver.

UK Sub 20:42 02 Jul 09

Can you (in Safe mode) get to the desktop?

If so Right Click > Properties and see what your screen resolution and colour quality is set to, adjust those then reboot.

Belfix 21:37 02 Jul 09

Hi and thanks for the initial responses..
Fruit Bat..ok - will do am tomorrow as now off to earn a crust. Question though:- after un-installing the driver in safe mode, how will the screen be "presented" to me when I reboot, & where should/can I get the driver for a nvidia geforce 6600gt.
UK Sub.. if booted via Directory Services Restore option, the properties are 1024x768 and Highest(32-bit)
regards

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:48 02 Jul 09

the driver will still be on the machine in the driver files, all you are doing is removing the copy from within windows (probably window system32 folder)and info from the registry.

reinstalling recopies to the relevant places and hopefully overwites a "corrupt file".

UK Sub 22:46 02 Jul 09

Ive had those older games change the resolution and colour quality before (even after a reboot) so i thought it was worth a go.

I have a nvidia 6600 and the latest release for that series is 186.18 click here

Follow Fruit Bat's advice first, but those are the drivers you need to download if you need them.

Belfix 10:15 03 Jul 09

Thanks guys..seems to be ok now but I had to do things slightly differently. Removed driver but would only normal boot to a windows "blue" screen and please wait... Nothing further happened so had to boot again in safe mode. This time display was in a HUGE resolution with only 4 colours. System reported "found new hardware" and said it had installed driver. Rebooted. Not ok again so back into safe mode. Display properties could not be altered and siad no driver found!. So..went onto nvidia site and down loaded new version. This wouldn't load as it said "re-install when basic drivers installed"??. Less hair now..so did a "cold" boot. Booted up in normal mode but again huge resolution and 4 colours, but this time "windows" said basically "poor resolution and colours - click this balloon" and when doing so hey-presto! got the options to change everything and even got the option back of urilising Nvideo control screen!.
Once again thanks chaps and I promise not to play Elite again!!!

Belfix 10:16 03 Jul 09

no more elite!!

Belfix 10:18 03 Jul 09

sorry - so excited now I can't spell right - I meant utlising!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017