Monitor Power Cord

23790954 14:45 07 Apr 06

I know it sounds a bit silly, but I have just received a new Videoseven W17PS flat screen monitor, which I am adding to a system I am building for my daughter-in-law. Although I have built numerous computers, I do not pretend to be an electrical wizard. All I need to know is, the videoseven flat screen monitor is supplied with a TWO pin power cord which goes into the voltage adaptor, which in turn is fitted to the monitor. Can I replace this TWO pin power cord with a normal THREE pin power cord which also fits the adaptor, without causing any damage to the system. As an elderly pensioner I do not want to do anything stupid. Many thanks to anyone who takes the time to give me this information.

Meshuga 15:05 07 Apr 06

If the 2 pin power cord you refer to is the one that plugs into the mains then I would suggest you contact the supplier and ask them to supply the correct cord. I am assuming that your daughter wants to plug it into a UK 13amp socket. If the adaptor is Double insulated and does not require earthing then you could change the 2pin plug for a 13a 3pin one but I would not advise that without investigating further first. I would suggest you do as my first suggestion indicates.

chub_tor 17:13 07 Apr 06

It's worth looking at the label on the voltage adapter to ensure that it is for 220/230V supply and that you haven't been sent the 110V version. Then follow meshuga's suggestions.

Meshuga 19:48 07 Apr 06

chub_tor, according to the manufacturers spec the item is suitable for operation on 100-240 volts at 50-60 HZ. There may well be some sort of internal control in the adapter. It could well be however a model intended for Europe where they have 2pin mains sockets. In the absence of any response from the enquirer we cant question further.

howard63 20:30 07 Apr 06

I received a piece of equipment from a British supplier without a British mains lead. On pointing out to them that it was illegal to supply mains electrical equipment in this country without the correct plug fitted 1 was sent out to me immediately.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

LG G6 review: Hands-on with LG’s bold, big-screen shot at perfection

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the 2017 Oscar-winning VFX of The Jungle Book were created

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…