Monitor power off

Dumble452 14:21 10 Apr 04

On my old computer my CRT monitor (Siemens Nixdorf MCM 1508 NTD) used to power off completely when the computer was shut down from Windows 98se. On my new computer, when I shut down, the power lamp on the front of the monitor changes from green to yellow and finally amber. This checks with the monitor manual which states that to cut off power consumption totally press the on/off switch on the front of the monitor. In which case, I am curious as to how my old computer managed to power off completely. Is it a BIOS function or dependent on the PSU used? I can't see anything in the motherboard (Matsonic MS8147C)manual to set this function in the BIOS. My old PSU had a separate power switch which my new one does not have.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:25 10 Apr 04

Is the monitor plugged in the pc at back? if it is it will go to stand by when you power of the pc.It wont hurt to leave the monitor like this.

Regards.

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 14:27 10 Apr 04

Cock up there if the monitor is plugged in at back it will power off if not it will go in to stand by at power off because its not getting a signal from graffix card if you unplug the monitor from g card it will come back on and run a test on itself,or should do.

Regards.

Dumble452 14:27 10 Apr 04

Yes, it plugs into the PSU just like it did on the old machine. I'm just curious really.

961 14:28 10 Apr 04

Are you using a different operating system?

New motherboards tend to have power on at all times to allow the operating system to wake up from the modem or LAN to allow faxes etc

If you have no power switch on the case then only by turning off the switch at the surge protector or the wall can you isolate the motherbopard from the power supply

Dumble452 14:41 10 Apr 04

I'm still using the smae operating system. The only thing I can think of is that the monitor may be using a different driver. Yes, you are right the motherboard does have wake-up facility. As long as ther is no danger in leaving the monitor taking < 5W from the mains I won't worry about it.

961 17:38 10 Apr 04

The only precaution needed is to ensure that you have surge protection installed

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…