Monitor or PC?

huzzar 10:46 05 Oct 03

My brother-in-law told me that his monitor has gone blank on him. The monitor light is on and flashing. I took another monitor and swopped it. the new monitor works ok so I left it at that.

That was yesterday, today he says that the new monitor has gone blank on him. Whats happening?

Has anyone had this problem before or know how to fix it please.

He is running a P3 with Win ME.

GANDALF <|:-)> 10:51 05 Oct 03

Control panel-power management and check to see if 'monitor off after x minutes' is enabled. Failing that try a different monitor link cable.

G

huzzar 11:03 05 Oct 03

GANDALF <|:-)> - by monitor link cable, do you mean the power cable? as the other cable (that fits to the computer) is permanently fitted to the monitor.

pinka 11:24 05 Oct 03

my friend had a similar problem , and it turned out that the graphics card had worked loose .

connora 12:14 05 Oct 03

Had same prob, again loose graphics card

huzzar 14:16 05 Oct 03

I was hoping it was something as simple as a loose card but it isn't I'm afraid. New cable made no difference either.

Back to the drawing board.

Jester2K II 14:20 05 Oct 03

Put the new montior back on. Now what??

Jester2K II 14:21 05 Oct 03

Put the OLD monitor back on. Now what??

huzzar 14:27 05 Oct 03

Did that - nothing, what's more I couldn't switch the computer off iether by the reset button or Ctrl, Alt, Del. had to switch off at the mains, it maybe that it isn't starting up at all and not having anything to show on screen??? I don't know.

Complete mystery to me.

mysterious_543 16:16 05 Oct 03

I had the same problem and I couldnt work out why it didnt work.

My comp would work for a bit then sort of go into a stan by mode. i couldnt restart it until I left it for a while. All the parts worked as far as i could tell so i let the 'experts' at pc world have a look. £50 later they told me there wasnt enough thermal grease between the processor and heatsink.

so rather than paying out £50 i suggest u get some thermal grease first.

JFT 17:24 05 Oct 03

"Experts at PC World"?????????????????

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…