Monitor not very bright

mikel1878 19:13 22 Mar 10

Hi guys

The screen on my laptop has gone dull. There doesn't appear to be an adjustment button or anything. Is there something in the settings I can adjust (I can't see anything) or is it faulty? Any help gratefully received.

Mike

chub_tor 19:19 22 Mar 10

It would help if we knew the make and model number of your laptop.

mikel1878 19:25 22 Mar 10

OK Its a MSI M670 laptop running windows XP Home edition, with an AMD Turion 64 processor, and an nVIDIA GO 6100 graphics card.

rdave13 19:33 22 Mar 10
  MAT ALAN 19:41 22 Mar 10

i doubt it is anything to do with your VGA card or chipset, as laptop screens are not self illuminating they rely on a BACKLIGHT and an INVERTER it is probably one or both of these that has busted...
click here

like the ones shown in the link...

your local repair shop should be able to confirm this...

mikel1878 20:03 22 Mar 10

Oh dear, sounds like a costly repair. The screen is still readable so I'll put up with it until it goes. Thanks for your help.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:06 22 Mar 10

How dim is dim?

If backlight or inverter dead then you would hardly be able to see anything.

It may just be power saving options that just need changing.

chub_tor 20:10 22 Mar 10

Have you tried Fn + F5 as suggested in rdave13's suggestion? Did anything happen? I concur with Fruit Bat /\0/\'s suggestion, it is a settings problem not a back light problem.

MAT ALAN 20:16 22 Mar 10

(I can't see anything) in first post...

thats why i'm hankering on hardware failure...

mikel1878 20:42 22 Mar 10

I didn't scroll down on rdaves link so I didn't see the bottom bit. I just hit Fn and F5 and its come up again. I don't know how I hit Fn and F4. You guys have done it again. Thanks very much. Mike

Sea Urchin 21:09 22 Mar 10

...was I think referring to a setting to adjust

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…