Monitor and Laptop Set-up

Rocketeer 19:53 03 Jul 11

Hello, I'm looking for advice. I'm about to purchase a new laptop and unsure how best to meet my viewing requirements. A 15" laptop is ideal for my travelling around. However at home I prefer using a large screen especially for multimedia work.

Should I go for a 15" laptop and separate 22" monitor or forget the monitor and go for a 17" laptop? With a separate monitor, how long can I expect it to be current before being superceded by better newer monitors?

Ian in Northampton 20:38 03 Jul 11

It depends how much you value portability. A 15" laptop will always be much more portable than a 17" - and, in many ways, 17" is something of a compromise in screen terms anyway. I think, based on what you say, I'd go for the smaller screen size laptop.

Don't worry about the external monitor. Anything you buy today will be good for a long time - there aren't that many innovations taking place in the monitor market. You'll get it cheaper in the future, of course - but that's the technology market for you.

Advertisement

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Honor 5X review: Hands-on with the new budget phone from Hauwei's young brand

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

You can now publish data visualisations to the web from Power BI

Complete guide to Apple's campus 2, everything we know about the new spaceship HQ, plus: new drone…