cyberphobic 14:19 17 Dec 03

I have an annoying problem with my "spare" PC.Although I have experimented with the power settings in Control Panel the screen shuts down often only 20 or 30 seconds after booting. The only way I can get the screen back up is to unplug from the mains then replug, sometimes it works OK for half an hour, sometimes it's only another 30 seconds.

The system is an Athlon 1333 on a PC Chips M810 mobo with 256MB RAM running XP PRO.

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

agenoria 15:01 17 Dec 03

Assuming you have tried disabling power management in both the BIOS and Windows.

Try installing a specific driver for your monitor, rather than letting Windows use a generic one.

Try installing the latest drivers for your video card.

If that doesn't work, have a look at your CPU heatsink/fan assembly. If it has the pink, hard type of thermal transfer compound on the base, try removing it, then replacing it with the soft white, cream type of compound and refit the heatsink etc.

I have found that this has solved a number of problems, including one like this, with a number of AMD processors, both Athlon and Duron.

Hope this helps.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…