Monitor Jargon and what does it meen.

Jameslayer 21:45 13 Jun 09

Does anyone else feel they are falling behind with the times. When i first started using computers life seemed so much easier. The bigger the number the better. And what should you be looking for. I just see a load of numbers. So if anyone nows a site that explains everything and says what u are looking for these days. would be very helpfull.

Specification Value
Product Description LG W2242T - LCD display - TFT - 22"
Device Type LCD display / TFT active matrix
Dimensions (WxDxH) 51.6 cm x 20.9 cm x 41.8 cm
Weight 4.7 kg
Diagonal Size 22" - widescreen
Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch 0.282 mm
Max Resolution 1680 x 1050
Display Positions Adjustments Swivel, tilt
Colour support 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
Response Time 5 ms
Image Brightness 300 cd/m2
Image Contrast Ratio 8000:1 (dynamic)
Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
Signal Input DVI-D, VGA
Compliant Standards TCO '03, FCC Class B certified, CE, UL, TUV GS, cUL, SEMKO
Power Consumption Operational 40 Watt
Environmental Standards EPA Energy Star

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:11 13 Jun 09

Response time seems a bit slow at 5 milliseconds I hope you meant 5 nano seconds.

Most of it makes complete sense to me except for the centimeteres, afraid I was brought up with feet and inches :0)

Jameslayer 22:19 13 Jun 09

Thats a copy and paste from the site. Link to monitor. click here

rdave13 22:22 13 Jun 09

Response time seems ok in ms. If you have the inclination to read this then it might explain a few things; click here

keverne 22:25 13 Jun 09

This might help click here

phono 22:34 13 Jun 09

"Response time seems a bit slow at 5 milliseconds I hope you meant 5 nano seconds."

A response time of 5ms for an LCD display is perfectly acceptable, you would need to be talking in nanoseconds for plasma displays though.

Jameslayer 14:52 16 Jun 09

rdave most of your link went over myhead but i found daconnor more at my level and it explained a lot of things.

Dot Pitch / Pixel Pitch-- How far apart the pixels are.

Max Resolution-- The max resulation the monitor is capable of.

Colour-- The number of colours it can produce. Higher is better.

Response time-- How quickly a pixel can change colour. Lower response time is better. No industry standerd on how to measure it though.

Image Brightness-- Higher the better but recomended brightness is 120 in normal lighting.

Image Contrast-- Higher the better but when stated using dynamic etc allows this in certain situations.

Think I have got to grips with it all. Still not 100% sure of what the minimum number i am looing for is though

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…