Monitor HDMI input

chub_tor 19:21 20 Feb 15
Answered

I have been forced to buy a new monitor when my old one went kaput. I chose the BenQ GL2460 partly because it has a HDMI input and my AMD HD 5670 has a HDMI output. I was expecting to just join the two together with a HDMI cable and eliminate the DVI plus audio output cables. However it just doesn't work. The monitor refuses to accept that there is an input from the HDMI, so no picture and no sound. Am I doing something wrong eg do I need to "instruct" the graphics card to output to the HDMI connector. Any thoughts appreciated. In the meantime I will continue with the DVI plus audio output and by the way, the monitor has great resolution, good colour but being very widescreen takes some getting used to.

alanrwood 19:41 20 Feb 15
Answer

Have you told the monitor to connect to the HDMI input. There is usually an input mode selection in the monitor menu. You are correct that HDMI cable contains video and sound. To be honest there is relatively no difference between the quality of the HDMI and DVI signals. In fact on my main rig DVI is slightly better than HDMI.

chub_tor 12:07 21 Feb 15

alanrwood Thank you, it took me a while to track it down but you are correct that there is a selection process via the buttons on the monitor that allow you to select which of the 3 inputs is selected. I had expected it to be automatic as was my old monitor. I did get it working via HDMI with video and audio but the sound from the monitor speakers is so poor that I have gone back to my external speakers and the regular audio output rather than rely on the audio from the HDMI.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac