Monitor has gone green!

Dumble452 16:32 25 Oct 06

I am using WindowsXP SP2 with a NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 graphics card. My monitor is a Iiyama ProLite E435S which I have had for about 18 months. Today I moved the computer to tidy up the tangle of cables and when I rebooted the monitor display had a green hue. When I activate the Auto Set-up on the monitor the display returns to normal but does not hold and the display reverts to green. Device manager tells me that my Graphics card and monitor are working properly. I've checked the connections and have opened up the computer to make sure that the graphics card is in its slot properly. I've tried updating drivers and installing and reinstalling as well as doing a system restore. I phoned Iiyama but they just gave me a different phone number to ring. When I got through I was asked to send an email describing the problem. Its still under warranty so I'm not too worried but I can't help but think it must be something simple if the auto set-up shows a perfect picture for 5 seconds.

Mr Mistoffelees 16:41 25 Oct 06

You may have damaged the monitor cable internally. Can you try a different one to rule that out, or in.

Stuartli 16:41 25 Oct 06

>>Device manager tells me that my Graphics card and monitor are working properly. >>

That doesn't necessarily mean that they are...:-)

You seem to have done as much as you can but, however, the fact that it occurred after moving the system to "tidy up the tangle of cables" would still seem to indicate that a lead or connection is not firmly connected at either the graphics card or monitor end.

woodchip 16:42 25 Oct 06

Is the Monitor Crt or TFT? if Crt then you need to got to monitor Onscreen Control and choose Degauss

Diemmess 16:42 25 Oct 06

Almost certainly much too difficult to correct unless you have an extensive knowledge of CRTs.

I did have a similar fault on an "Own Brand" some years ago which was a data cable fault and eventually cured with a replacement cable.

It was possible to wiggle the cable slightly where it entered the monitor, but until the cable was replaced it just became more and more difficult to acquire the good picture.

Dumble452 16:47 25 Oct 06

I haven't got a spare cable. The connections seem to be fine. I'll wait to see if I get a response from Comserve (Iiyama's warranty firm). I'm still puzzled why the Auto Set-up gives a perfect display before failing.

Dumble452 16:48 25 Oct 06

Its tft

Diemmess 08:59 26 Oct 06

Sorry, I misunderstood.

It IS new.
Be hardnosed, don't lose the opportunity to return as defective, rather than try and find an answer.
That is for people whose monitor has just gone out of warranty.

Dumble452 08:08 03 Nov 06

I found these postings elsewhere:

click here
and click here

I've now had a response from ComServe and a replacement monitor is being delivered next Tuesday.

Dumble452 07:14 08 Nov 06

Replacement monitor has arrived and works properly

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5