Monitor going to sleep

Curacion66 22:42 26 Jan 09

I have a desktop PC that for the last 6 months keeps giving a beep & then telling me that the monitor is going to sleep. At first it was a little infrequrnt but no its all of the time. Every 5 minutes sometimes. I have all of the power settings to never turn off but it still happens. The PC works fine apart from this. To get it going again, holding down the sleep button on the keyboard normally wakes it up! If that fails just hit the reset button & all is ok again.

Does anyone have any ideas before I dismantle it for spares. Runs XP SP2.

Thanks John

brundle 01:10 27 Jan 09

Try another monitor, check cabling and socket/plug.

Graphicool1 11:21 27 Jan 09

Hi have you checked to see if your PC has been set to hibernate?
'My Computer'
'Control Panel'
'Power Options'
'Hibernate' (Tab)
Untick the box 'Enable Hibernation'
'Apply'-'Ok'
It's worth a look!

Curacion66 19:41 01 Feb 09

I tried the new monitor & I checked all of the power settings & hibernate is not selected & it is still doing it!! I have swapped all of the cables with my PC & it doesn't make a difference. My PC stayed on without any issue with the different monitor as well.

woodchip 19:46 01 Feb 09

Look for any power settings in Device Manager and Display properties in Control Panel

Technotiger 19:51 01 Feb 09

Are you sure that the problem is with the Monitor, and not with the Graphics Card?

Curacion66 20:03 01 Feb 09

In the power settings on control panel I have everything turned to "Never" as far as the monitor & PC are concerned. I can see no other settings that can be set.
As for the graphics card, I'm not sure. When its working, the picture is excellent. Fast response rate & no poor colour at all. My guess is its fine, but I don't know how to check otherwise.

Technotiger 20:12 01 Feb 09

How old is the mobo? Could perhaps be a failing CMOS battery.

From your description, perhaps not the graphics card - but one way to check is to carefully remove and then re-fit the card, making sure of a perfect fit.

Technotiger 20:15 01 Feb 09

My reckoning is, that if it is happening with more than one Monitor, then the fault is not likely to be the Monitor itself.

Technotiger 20:16 01 Feb 09

My reckoning is, that if it is happening with more than one Monitor, then the fault is not likely to be the Monitor itself.

Technotiger 20:16 01 Feb 09

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced