Monitor goes into standby at start up

alan227 18:01 06 Dec 05

A friend at work has a problem with his monitor.
He is runni8ng XP home and when he switches his computer on the monitor goes into standby mode so he can not accesss anything.
I can not at the moment give you any more details than that.
Has anyone any thoughts on this.

GaT7 18:12 06 Dec 05

There could be several reasons for this. Does he hear any beeps at all?

More info would be welcome, like the PC's spec - the more details the better. G

Computerdope 18:25 06 Dec 05

try starting in safe mode, you may be using a setting the monitor cant handle.

alan227 18:45 06 Dec 05

He is bringing the computer to me tomorrow so I will be able to post some more information.
Thanks computerdope I will give that a try first, as it loads only essential drivers.

alan227 19:24 07 Dec 05

Problem solved.
He had just brought it second hand of a friend and had connected the monitor to the onboard graphics instead of the graphics card.
I wish they were all as easy to sort out as that.
When I hooked it up to the graphics card the card seemed to move so I took the side of the case and the screw was sitting on top of the graphics card and another screw was floating around in the bottom of the case, the front USB connector block had come off and there was a lot of dust inside.
So I gave it a good clean, put a blanking plate in a slot that had been used and just left open (and used the spare screw to secure it).
Whoever had it before certainly did the buyer no favours as it is a HP computer and it says on the front that it has an ATI 9600 pro graphics card, but this has been changed for a TNT Riva 2 32mb card.
It also says that it has 512mb of memory when in actual fact it only has 256mb.
Whether to tell him or not is now my dilema.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…