Monitor goes into standby

BLUes23 09:56 21 Oct 09

Over the last few days my monitor has been going into standby mode but the computer did not crash though. I get a message saying the monitor has no signal.
Then after re-booting the PC the partition on the hard drive had been wiped out !
I recovered the hard drive using a back up image and then tried a different graphics card but still had the same problem with the monitor.
Again the hard Disk crashed again so i tried doing a clean install of windows Vista, but still the monitor still goes into standby.
So does anyone know what the problem maybe? I just hope it is not a problem with the mainboard.
I do not think the fault is with monitor because it was fine when i re-installed windows and brought back the back-up image which took about 6 hours or so.
I am using a gigabyte mainboard with 2.5GB of ram running a Athlon 64 bit 3400+ processor.
The graphics card is a ATI Sapphire X1950 PRO.
The operating system is Windows Vista home premium..
Any help on this problem will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Stuartli 10:02 21 Oct 09

Have you checked Power Management configuration?

BLUes23 10:07 21 Oct 09

All that is fine as the computer has been running fine for a number of years now with no problems. But all of a sudden the monitor has been droping into standby mode. thanks for the response though.

Stuartli 10:30 21 Oct 09

Nothing is taken for granted in the world of computers...:-)

BLUes23 11:19 21 Oct 09

yea i know but i more worried why the partition on my hard drive was blown away. It has happened two time now !!

woodchip 11:47 21 Oct 09

Sounds like the Hard Drive needs replacing

woodchip 11:49 21 Oct 09

PS you will lose the monitor if the Drive is on the blink as the PC will shut down as it cannot read the drive. You could try running Disc Checker before restoring a Image

BLUes23 18:24 21 Oct 09

I will try that, thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…