Monitor goes blank PC has to be swiched back on

newton_rover 16:42 21 Apr 05

I have a Medion PC one year old with an Intel Pentium 4HT 3000 MHz CPU, and a Medion Radeon 9800XXL video Adapter. The problem is that the LCD TFT Monitor goes blank after anything from 2 to 6 hours of normal letter writing and web surfing use, and to get the computer going again I have to switch off at the mains and then back on again to boot up normally.

There is also a distinctive smell (perhaps of heated up components?) when it fails which is not usually there even after previously leaving the computer on for days at a time.

I am therefore wondering if the problem is heat related so have followed other advice on heating up and run the Everest Home Edition sensor to get the temperatures and voltages. These are as follows

Motherboard initially about 48 degrees but in a second reduces in stages to 1 degree and then the sensor does not show it, presumably because it is too small to measure.

CPU Core 34 to 37 usually settles at 36 degrees.
Aux varies betwen 14 and 18, usually 14 degrees.
Seagate Hard drive varies up to a usual 44 degrees

CPU Cooling Fan 1400=1480 RPM usually 1450RPM

Voltage values
CPU Core 1.47V
CPU Aux 3.12V
+3.3V shows 3.39V
+5V shows 5.11V
+12V shows 11.31V
-12V shows -14.91V
-5V shows -7.71V
+5V Standby shows 4.53V
VBAT Battery shows 3.34V

I have emailed Medion twice but no response but before I do anything further about that company perhaps somebody can suggest what is happening please. The computer behaves normally before it suddenly stops.

gudgulf 16:51 21 Apr 05

You need to check that the fan on the graphics card is running....if you are losing the graphics feed and getting an odd smell this could be overheating.Try downloading ATI Tool as well click here Whilst this is primarily an overclocking tool it also has a graphics card temperature monitoring function (If your card supports it)which might tell you straight away what the problem is.

Pooke100 17:01 21 Apr 05

I'm with gudgulf on this one, try clearing out the dust from the inside of the graphics card and machine too.

newton_rover 17:33 21 Apr 05

Thank you gudgulf and Pooke100 for your rapid response.

I have already cleaned out the machine with a can of Ixos "Air Duster" and made sure that the fans on the graphics card and CPU were working and after this operation the machine did seem to stay on longer.

Whether the graphics card fan continues to run I am not sure so will have to take the side off and try to watch it working.If this is the problem is the card likely to be damaged for long term use because the machine has now stopped working three or four times before I eventually stopped using it.

I presume the "Aux" temperature I quoted from Everest is the Graphics card, does this not seem right?

I know little about Power unit voltages but did wonder why the minus values shown on Everest were well away from the expected values whereas the + values were almost spot on

gudgulf 17:44 21 Apr 05

I don't think that everest reports the graphics card temp.....certainly doesn't on my pc.Give ATI Tool a try.

Pooke100 17:49 21 Apr 05

Your voltages look ok, from what I know. Have you done all the simple things, take the card out, re-seat it etc.

Have you tried a different monitor?? TFT's can get quite warm too. When you switch off at the mains are you turning the monitor off too??

Something to think about?

HTH

newton_rover 09:33 22 Apr 05

I have made sure that the card is seated correctly and tried the ATI tool but could not see any temperature readings displayed.

Following Pooke100's suggestion I am now going to try a different monitor and will report back tonight or tomorrow how that turns out.

Many thanks to both members for your help so far.

newton_rover 14:54 22 Apr 05

I have tried a CRT monitor and this ran for a couple of hours before it stopped again. The screen just had a flashing signal which said "out of limits" and gave values for H and V. I also noticed that the computer was still 'On' except that the graphics card fan was stationary.

I switched everything off and then back on again a few seconds later. The screen still said the same but the H and V values were less.

I then waited two or three minutes and tried again. This time the computer booted up as normal but I noticed that the graphics card fan was still stationary.

Finally I switched everything off at the mains to cool off and then after a while I switched on again. This time the graphics card fan started up hesitantly but then ran what appeared to be properly and I could boot up as normal. It seems that the card will run for a certain amount of time and then fails.

As I have blown out any dust etc from the card fan and all other parts of the computer presuimably this is a faulty card or could something else (PSU?) cause this problem and is there any danger of other components being damaged by what has been happening?

If I need a replacement card under warranty I want to make sure that other components have not been damaged and therefore are likely to fail prematurely. If this is the case then I shall have to ask for other parts to be replaced at the same time.

I would appreciate your comments

Pooke100 15:00 22 Apr 05

What resolution and refresh rate do you have it set to?

bluesbrother 16:12 22 Apr 05

I had a similar prob, without the smell though. Upgrading the PSU from a 350w to a 500w solved it.

newton_rover 17:17 22 Apr 05

The LCD TFT Monitor when used with the Medion computer is set at the setting recommended in the manual of 1280 x 1024 and 60 Hz ("to achieve optimal picture quality"). Today I have been using this monitor on another much older machine without any problems (so far). The graphics card in this other machine is only an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX.

As far as the PSU in the Medion is concerned it is a 350w fitted by the manufacturer of the computer so hopefully is adequate for the task. It is an FSP Group inc. Fortron/Source, model FSP350-60MDN. It also has a label stating W/Noisekiller and W/PFC whatever that means.

As stated in my earlier thread I was concerned about the minus voltage values shown by Everest which seem to differ quite a lot from the 'normal' values although the 'plus' voltages seem very close to the norm. However, I don't know what tolerances are allowed etc so the figures mean nothing to me. I hoped someone would be able to look at them and let me know if everything was in order there. Although the Graphics card fan is obviously not working all the time I wondered if the PSU could be responsible and not necessarily the Graphics card itself. Hope this information will help

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…