Monitor goes blank fom time to time

dobbin 18:43 06 Aug 05

On three occasions my monitor [LG Flatron 1710B] has gone blank with the on of switch just flashing and whatever I do I cannot get a picture. As it is still under warranty LG have swapped it over and all has been fine. However when it failed again today I plug it into another pc and it worked. So I then plugged it back in to the original pc and it worked fine again. It seems to occur on boot up. I am running win xp sp1, mesh athlon xp 2200 computer with radeon 9000 series video card.
Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening.

Taff36 18:51 06 Aug 05

I sometimes see this on various machines I work on but the monitor recovers. You perhaps need the latest drivers for the graphics card and monitor. Pressing the monitor power switch sometimes cures it. Hold it for 5 seconds and then if it doesn`t come on press it again to power up. It wouldn`t hurt to upgrade to SP2 either!

dobbin 19:09 06 Aug 05

Thanks taff, I will try holding the monitor switch in for 5 seconds next time it happens. I have installed the latest drivers for the monitor but will also do so for the graphics card. I am a bit nervous about upgrading to sp2 as its my wife's work computer and if it goes wrong there could be real trouble!

ACOLYTE 19:12 06 Aug 05

I had a similar thing happen to me and it turned out it was a dodgy connection on the back of the monitor,if i wiggled it it worked ok,so i just put up with it.

Taff36 19:12 06 Aug 05

Get her IT department to do it or is she the IT department as well?

dobbin 19:24 06 Aug 05

no I'm the it department!

Stuartli 19:41 06 Aug 05

A new monitor cable often corrects these type of faults as the pins can be damaged when being removed or inserted.

You shouldn't need a monitor "driver" as such and XP would have this area covered in any case (as suggested upgrading to SP2 is well worthwhile) but, if by any chance you do, see:

click here

DieSse 00:18 07 Aug 05

Also make sure you are running the display at the recommended refresh rate of 60Hz - substantially higher can cause problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…