Monitor ghosting & strange wheezing noise.?

BeForU 00:46 13 Oct 04

Hello. I have a Samsung SyncMaster 753DFX 17 inch CRT monitor for just over a year now, brought from Ebuyer.

About 2 months ago, it started to have this strange high pitched wheezing noise. The only way for me to get rid of it is to switch the monitor off for a while and then turn it back on. But even then that was a temporary measure since it would just come back. I then found out that if I set the refresh rate to the default 60Hz (I used run it on it's maximum of 85Hz), then there wouldn't be that noise anymore. Sometimes the noise usually comes up whenever the monitor is on for a long while or when I play some games but that was only back then.

After getting used to the 60Hz for the last 2 months, I felt like reverting back to 85Hz since it is what I am always used to i.e. it's easier and smoother to my eyes. I don't seem to have that annoying noise yet (thank god!) but now I've started to experience a little bit of ghosting, most noticable on some text on screen.

Does anybody know what is wrong with my monitor? Is it starting to pack up? If so then I sure hope not as I do not want to get another monitor and I really love this one. Thanks!

BeForU 01:43 14 Oct 04

Well it seems that the wheezing noise has came back and so I reverted down to 70Hz this time and it has gone, for now! Seems nobody has an answer to my problem??

Valvegrid 07:02 14 Oct 04

It sounds very much like the Extra High Tension (EHT) voltage is starting to break down, which is accompanied by that wheezing or hissing noise. This is the high voltage that the tube uses. This voltage is between 20,000 and 30,000 volts, depending on the make and size of the monitor. The ghosting will probably be related to the tube not receiving the full EHT voltage. Quite often if the EHT is arcing its accompanied by a smell of ozone

EHT multipliers are quite easy to replace by an electronics engineer, if you have a local computer shop they will probably be able to give you an estimate on replacing the faulty multiplier if that's at fault, or they might be able to find out were its arcing.

This problem can be related to operating this type of equipment, computer monitors and televisions, in a damp atmosphere like a kitchen area.

Don't be tempted in opening the back yourself, if the EHT is arcing it can easily arc over the your finger! Ouch!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…