monitor flicking top & bottom

Ducky118 17:10 28 Aug 06

Monitor display is contracting from top & bottom. It is no more than an inch, but it flicks almost continually. I think it's probably the monitor showing the first signs of giving up. If it isn't and somebody has had the same problem, I would be glad to hear from them. Monitor is a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 930SB about 3yrs old.

Stuartli 17:16 28 Aug 06

Three years is not very old...:-)

Have you first tried reinstalling/updating your graphics card drivers?

Secondly, if you right click on the Desktop>Properties>Settings button>Advanced>Adapter tab and click on List All Modes, all colour/resolution/refresh rates that your card supports are listed.

For a 17in monitor try 32bit True Colour/1024x768/85MHz refresh and for a 19in a higher resolution with the same colour and refresh rates (if supported).

DieSse 18:15 28 Aug 06

Well it can only be three things - the monitor, the monitor cable, or the graphics card. It sounds very much like the monitor, so as a first check, try it on another system..

If it's less than 3 years old, it's probably still under warranty - so check the dates very carefully.

I can't see it being a setting or a driver really - sounds classically like a monitor problem.

tristar 18:39 28 Aug 06

What a coincidence! Till recently I had a Diamond Pro, just over three years old.
I enquired of a friend in a computer shop and he reckoned the symtoms I had - and you have, are classic 'dry joint' symptoms.
My monitor got worse and worse and finally 'flatlined'.

I now have a new TFT monitor.

tristar

Stuartli 19:41 28 Aug 06

Any good TV repair workshop, if it is dry joints, should be able to sort it out.

howard63 21:27 28 Aug 06

just a thought - have you disconnected this monitor lately? If so check for a bent connector in the d-plug

howard63 21:30 28 Aug 06

should have said bent pin

wednesday 13 21:53 28 Aug 06

my dvd recorder does sort of that when i run my dreamcast in 60hz, try lowering it on your pc properties. tell you how soon when found again

wednesday 13 21:56 28 Aug 06

My computer > control pannel > display > settings > advanced > moniter

Stuartli 23:35 28 Aug 06

For the vast majority of monitor users (CRT) a refresh rate of 85MHz will eliminate screen flicker; in fact the minimum refresh rate on such monitors is normally 60MHz and that will eventually produce headaches for most people.

TFTs are different - they normally use 60MHz.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Glassworks Barcelona shows how it captured the artistic imagination of Conor in A Monster Calls

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…