Monitor flickering and dying sometimes.

Newby 16:37 01 Sep 09

I have a Compaq presario with a 17" Proview Monitor running XP. In the last week or two my monitor has flickered and gone black. I tried my wife's monitor on my computer and it worked fine but my monitor would not work on hers. (I am on my wif's computer right now), Sometimes I have switched of the monitor power at the monitor and it comes back. Sometimes it stays, sometimes it doesn't. It is so erratic and becoming very unreliable (and frustrating) Any ideas, Guys? redeyenewby

Technotiger 16:41 01 Sep 09

I would guess it is probably time for a new monitor.

Newby 17:29 01 Sep 09

Technotiger, Thank you. I tried my onboard graphics card and I got power but no life on my monitor. I changed back to my separate graphics card and, after going through the rigmarole from Norton telling me I haVE NO VIRUS CHECKER THE COMPUTER IS o.k. now. - BUT WHAT ABOUT TOMORROW? i FEEL IT ISN'T THE MONITOR - i'M RACKING MY BRAINS TO FIGURE OUT WHICH, IF ANY, PROGRAMME IS CAUSING THIS HICCUP. tHE PROBLEM IS IT IS ERRATIC. Thank you for your interest. (Sorry, I hit the upper case in error.

chub_tor 17:31 01 Sep 09

If your monitor doesn't work on your computer or your wife's computer yet her monitor works on your computer and hers then logically the fault is with the monitor.

Technotiger 17:39 01 Sep 09

Although I used the word 'guess' - I am certain that my original comment is correct! I have never heard of any Program causing a monitor to have the symptoms you describe.

Newby 17:52 01 Sep 09

Technotiger and chub_tor, Thanks again for your comments. The problem is that right now I am working on my own computer and - touch wood - it seems O.K. I'm loathe to buy a new monitor at this stage (of erraticness). If I do have to buy anything I think it will be a laptop. Thanks again. Any further developments I'll let you know.

Technotiger 17:54 01 Sep 09

OK - just had another thought, perhaps it is not the monitor but the monitor's Power Pack - can you try another Power Pack?

mooly 18:12 01 Sep 09

If it's an LCD screen, when it goes black, if you shine a torch on it can you then see the image still there. If so it's a problem with the backlight or the high voltage inverter that supplies it.

Newby 06:18 02 Sep 09

Technotiger and mooly, Thanks, guys. I'm on my own computer at the moment. I don't know if it is O.K. or not.If it creates any more trouble I shall A. Try a torch and B. Investigate acquiring a power pack = if that's possible. Thanks and cheerio.

Newby 00:04 12 Sep 09

Technotiger and mooly, Today I renewed my subscription to Paretologic and one of the item purchased was DriverCure. I found that I had a lot of outdated drivers and, by putting the monitor off and on (to enable me to get the screen back) I was able to update my Video card - and some others. I don't know whether this is the answer but right now my computer seems to be stable. Cheers, chaps, redeyenewby.

Technotiger 08:13 12 Sep 09

Thanks for your feedback - hopefully you have found a permanent solution.

Updating Video driver - Now why didn't I think of that .......... Ho Hum :-)

Cheers TT

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017