Monitor flicker-Best settings please ?

dagbladet 08:40 23 Aug 03

I have bought a new base unit, but i'm using the old (6/7 year) Fujitsu (CRT) monitor until I can afford something else. After reading something about flicker and headaches, I checked the settings and found the monitor refresh rate set at 70hz. It is showing options up to 85hz. Also the screen res would appear to be offering more options than were previously there. Can anybody advise. What is the screen res anyway ?

jazzypop 08:51 23 Aug 03

Screen flicker is an entirely personal thing - some notice flicker as low as 85Hz, others barely notice it at 70Hz.

As a general rule, the higher the refresh rate the better, in terms of reducing eye strain. Note that you should not exceed the capabilities of your monitor, or you will damage it.

Screen res is the resolution of the screen, i.e. the number of dots that are crammed into the available viewing area of your monitor.

If you are running XP, it will default to 800x600, that is, 800 pixels (dots) across the screen,and 600 rows vertically.

The higher the resolution, the smaller each icon will appear on screen, and the more you can view of a spreadsheet, document etc.

Again, your monitor will have a maximum resolution - do not try to exceed it.

Forum Editor 08:53 23 Aug 03

affects the 'size'of your visible desktop - basically the higher the resolution the bigger the desktop, but the smaller the items on it. High screen resolutions are often a problem on small monitors because you can hardly see the icons/text. It's a matter of experimenting to get the best resolution for your monitor.

Refresh rates, on the other hand will directly affect the way you feel after a while at the screen, and you should aim for an absolute minimum of 75Hz to minimise the effects of screen flicker. Imagine your poor eye muscles trying to refocus hundreds of times a second and you get an idea of why you'll suffer from headaches if you can see the flicker.

A good combination - if your video card/monitor will permit - is a refresh rate of 85Hz and a resolution of 1024x768 (depending on the size of the screen). Set the colour bit level at 32 if you have a reasonable powerful computer and want high-quality colour rendering, but bear in mind that this colour depth uses a lot of system resources to redraw the screen, so a lower setting may be more appropriate.

dagbladet 09:07 23 Aug 03

Thanks Jazzy and FE

I have XP, Athlon 2600+, 512 meg, GeoForce mx440, old GVC 13.8 monitor.
In display settings I am offered up to 85 hz refresh. 1024 X 768 is on offer. I have tried them and they seem to work ok but everything seems tiny. I also see a facility in the display properties to increase the DPI to compensate for "tiny things". I'm starting to get out of my depth and I don't want to change too many things at once in case I can't get back.

jazzypop 09:15 23 Aug 03

On a 14" monitor, I would not go higher than an 800x600 resolution - going higher could cause more eye strain than a 75Hz refresh rate, due to the tiny icons and system fonts.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 Plus review: better cameras and waterproofing make this the best iPhone yet

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Apple to launch new Macs and MacBook Pros at an event on October 27

iPhone vs Android | iOS vs Android: 5 reasons why Apple's iPhones beat Google Android smartphones ()…