monitor flashes pitch black screen

phillyw 16:27 19 Dec 04

Can anyone help with my problem,monitor screen will just flash to a pitch black screen.This lasts for usually less than a second but a few times slightly longer.This seems to occur randomly,other times it doesn't occur at all.Although not a dire problem it is disconcerting.Does it sound like i need a new monitor,any help greatly appreciated.By the way please keep it simple i'm not converse in computer innards,thanks.

Graham ® 16:39 19 Dec 04

What type of monitor is it? CRT (TV type) or TFT (thin type)?

phillyw 16:44 19 Dec 04

Hi Graham..it's a CRT and a few years old now and my two sons have the habit of switching it on and off quite a few times dury a day,thats why i suspect it's on it's way out,but i'm no expert.

Graham ® 16:58 19 Dec 04

Apart from waggling the leads to reveal a loose connection (including the mains), does it make any noise when it does this?

phillyw 17:20 19 Dec 04

No noise at all,only stange noise i get is when i switch PC off i get two loud bangs from speakers,but don't think this has anything to do with screen.

Graham ® 17:25 19 Dec 04

I think your sons should surprise you with a new TFT for Christmas!

phillyw 17:26 19 Dec 04

Just tried waggling leads again,both ends,no effect.Screen hasn't flashed for last half hour or so, it just seems so random,strange or what?

phillyw 17:31 19 Dec 04

Methinks i'll take your advice Graham and invest in a new monitor,thanks for your time and a Merry Xmas to you and yours. I'll wait a few minutes then press Resolved, Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…