Monitor failure to hold display

tenbee 17:16 03 Nov 08

Help please. I have an 8 yr.old Acer AL1711 LCD monitor which has been working OK until recently.
Problem is that when starting my computer(Windows XP Home - SP3) the screen display appears briefly and then disappears. I eventually get it to hold the display, but only after switching the monitor on and off several times after which the display is held. If it subsequently goes into 'rest' mode, I then usually have to repeat this procedure to regain whatever was on the screen before it went into 'rest' mode - clicking or moving the mouse doesn't help. Once the display is held, I can work normally. The problem seems to relate only to when the monitor starts up or comes out of 'rest'. Cabling appears to be OK.
Thanks for any advice.

bluto1 21:43 03 Nov 08

You're a patient person. I'm not too clued up on the technical side of PCs but I'd like to suggest that you ask a friend to lend you a monitor and if successful there ask that same friend to connect your monitor to their PC. This will eliminate either a PC or a monitor fault. A niggle at the back of my mind suggests your monitor is at fault. If nothing else comes of this your post will go up the ratings and hopefully somebody more expert than me will point you in the right direction. Best of luck.

tenbee 23:12 03 Nov 08

Thanks 'bluto1' - I shall do the suggested checking and proceed accordingly, but am I correct in thinking that at 8+ years my daily used monitor is anyway on or approaching its last legs ? How long is the life of a monitor ?

bluto1 11:38 04 Nov 08

I don't really know the lifespan of a monitor. What came to mind when I first read your post was that is similar to the horizontal and vertical holds on a TV giving up the ghost.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…