On a Monitor is a DVI connection similar to HDMI?

I am looking at a monitor that has a DVI connection. I have a new PC which has a graphics card with HDMI/DVI connection.
Is it more or less the same thing or would a monitor with a straight HDMI connector be better? Thanks!

GaT7 14:26 22 Aug 09

Depends what your purpose is.

Read this click here - applies to monitors as well.

Recent related PCA forum post click here. G

The purpose is a monitor for a PC for school work (and my daughter will watch you tube on it). No gaming issues really. Tx for links will follow them.

PS Unlikely to watch many DVDs on it and not playing Blu rays on it.

GaT7 14:37 22 Aug 09

DVI is the one to use in that case, unless you need the sound to be carried via HDMI. G

The monitor doesn't have speakers and i have seperate ones so I'm presuming not! :)

GaT7 14:50 22 Aug 09

DVI it is then. The lack of monitor speakers, & dependence on them for sound, negates the need for HDMI.

With HDMI cables so cheap nowadays (don't need to pay more than £2-3 for one btw), you can still try it out to see what it looks like, or just to satisfy your curiosity perhaps :-). G

woodchip 14:53 22 Aug 09

DVI picture on the right at the top click here

HDMI click here

TX all, I just bought the DVI one, it has very good ratings and isn't a bad price. As I said, it is a homework pc and will be in an unused bedroom so not for watching films etc!
One thing though- what did you mean about trying out the HDMI cable anyway? The monitor is DVI not HDMi?
Tx again!

PS It's amazing that I made a decision at all, have been thinking about it since I got the PC in July!!
LOL!

GaT7 15:31 22 Aug 09

Sorry, I meant a DVI-HDMI cable - like this click here.

The DVI end connects to your monitor, while the HDMI directly to your graphics card's HDMI port .G

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…