Monitor drivers

coolteentom 21:20 30 Aug 05

Hi,

I've been using a system fine for a few years now. However, I have recently bought a new tower, which uses the monitor with a maximum of 16 colours. I know this monitor can go way above this. Is there some driver out there I can just download, which will update it to work with a higher resolution?

Cheers,

tom

goonerbill © ® 21:24 30 Aug 05

look at the back of you monitor. there should be a label which tells you who made it and which model it is. put these details into a search on the web and it should find a website with the latest drivers for you or you could post the info in here.

Stuartli 21:38 30 Aug 05

Have you checked your graphics card configuration via Display Properties?

Go to Settings tab>Advanced button>Adapter tab and click on List All Modes and you will be provided with all the details of the resolutions, colour etc that your card will supprt.

Click on the one you require (set refresh rate at 85MHz to prevent any possibility of flickering).

DieSse 22:36 30 Aug 05

Monitors don't have, and don't require, drivers (in the normally accepted sense of what a driver is).

What they have is .inf files, which are simply txt fils containing the parameters of the monitor (to aid in settings. Not al monitors have their own .inf files, as many use the standard Windows ones.

Somtimes monitors also have colour profiles .icm files - which may help with setting up clour matching.

Don't waste too much time worrying about monitor files - use the information above to set up your graphics card, and you should be OK.

Stuartli 23:00 30 Aug 05

I forgot to mention that monitors don't require drivers....:-(

coolteentom

If you don't believe us just check the Driver tab in Device Manager for your monitor...:-)

Chegs ® 23:42 30 Aug 05

I wouldn't call the .inf file a driver,but XP does. :-)

click here

DieSse 23:56 30 Aug 05

XP gets other things wrong too ;-))

If you click on the "Driver Details" button, however, - see what you get then!

Chegs ® 00:39 31 Aug 05

I'm just curious to know why(as can be seen in my 1st screenshot)XP states my "Monitor Driver" isn't "Digitaly Signed" and in this shot click here of the "Details" tab,there is a mass of listings.What does all these have to do with a simple .inf file?

DieSse 00:51 31 Aug 05

So does mine - don't know why, all the devices seem to have the same list - but if you click the Driver Details button (not the Details tab)on the Driver tab page - I get "No driver has been loaded or is required for this device"

Chegs ® 01:19 31 Aug 05

I have just had a ratch thru my Driver Details buttun,and it stated that my "driver" is located at

c:\windows\system32\spool\drivers\color\NECP11-1.ICM

so I've had a hunt thru google for info on reading .ICM files,and found this little snippet of info...

In Windows 95 and possibly other operating systems, an ICM (Image Color Matching) file contains a color system profile for a particular application or device such as a color printer or scanner. This profile is matched to a common profile that in turn can be mapped to other device's individual profiles. This allows the color system used by one computer device to match the colors used by other applications and devices on the same or other computer platforms. A profile commonly adopted by some programs and devices is the Kodak Professional Color System profile. An ICM file usually carries the suffix ".icm".
Microsoft, Apple, and Adobe are among the manufacturers who adhere to the ICC's color profiling system.

From here click here

DieSse 01:25 31 Aug 05

Ah - right. Well as I said, some have colour profiles as .icm files.

In my experience they're of some help - but not a requirement - but they don't hurt either.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…