monitor displays "out of range" during bootup

frior-one 18:37 29 Sep 03

a friend is having a problem with their pc during the boot process. windows me. the first "logo" screen is displayed then it goes to "out of range" and hangs.
any help / pointers would be welcome.

pinka 18:45 29 Sep 03

i believe that means that it is set at a resolution that the monitor cant handle .

spikeychris 18:50 29 Sep 03

pinka is right. Start up in safe mode and set the res to 640/480. If that fails (sometimes does) post back for a long winded reg hack that does work.

Djohn 18:57 29 Sep 03

pinka is correct. The resolution is set to high for the monitor. During boot-up tap the F8 key, then from the options offered, choose safe mode or VGA mode.

Go into your settings via, right click on the desktop, then setting, then advanced, and click on the adaptor tab, bring your resolution down to 60 or 75hz. Reboot the pc and your display should return to normal. Then depending on the type and size of the monitor, you can now adjust your settings again, but don't take them too high. j.

Djohn 19:00 29 Sep 03

Chris is of course correct! bring the resolution down as he suggest and the "refresh" as I have posted. j.

spikeychris 19:05 29 Sep 03

Have to say that your on the ball there John, the refresh rate is the odds on favourite. I had this problem once with 5 machines that users had been playing with, had to reset the reg...there are a lot of keys though...

Chris

frior-one 19:52 29 Sep 03

problem was solved by going to safe mode, changing screen res and colour settings.
great help guys. many thanks.

woodchip 20:27 29 Sep 03

You have got me beat on the above. As when you go into safe mode the res is 640/480 and the colour is about 16 colour's not sixteen bit. so how can you change some thing that already exists

Djohn 20:41 29 Sep 03

Hi woodchip. If the settings are too high then the monitor will not display, as you know. But by starting in safe mode, windows will use it's own drivers with the settings you say. This will then give you a display so that you can access your graphics card and change the settings from there.

The dedicated graphics card, [Not being used while in safe mode] will still have the high "Out of range" settings. Once these are brought back down, you can then boot in normal mode. Regards. j.

woodchip 20:59 29 Sep 03

Must be on XP you cannot do it as far as I know in 98

woodchip 21:17 29 Sep 03

I get your point now, resolution down to 60 or 75hz it was spikeychris who mixed me up with 640/480 a totaly different thing

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…