Monitor display gone wrong

Dae 16:42 08 Apr 04

The only thing that my CRT monitor will display is a thin vertical bar, 2cm wide, down the centre of the screen. It was ok when turned off yesterday, faulty when turned on today.

What can be done to isolate the cause of this fault?

On bootup, I get one short beep.

Could I connect another monitor I have, a ViewSonic VP191b TFT, without harming anything and without driver problems, to see if it is a monitor fault?

The faulty setup is an Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 17 CRT monitor, fed from an ATI 3D Rage Pro Expert-at-Work video card: Win95 PII 226, on an Asus motherboard labelled P2L97, with an FW82371AB chip (a setup which works well enough for certain undemanding tasks I have).

Regards.

mrdsgs 16:51 08 Apr 04

yes

just switch everything off, connect the tft, switch on the tft, then power up the pc.

all should then be fine if the problem is the crt, if still no picture, its your pc/graphics card.

Do your hear fans and hard drive activity at present when you switch on?

mrdsgs

mrdsgs 16:52 08 Apr 04

i should have added, check for loose monitor cable first

mrdsgs

Dae 16:59 08 Apr 04

mrdsgs

Yes, I can see and hear all fans working, and hear hard disk activity. I have also re-seated the video card and checked cable connections.

I wil try substituting the screen next.

Thank you for your interest.

Dae

mrdsgs 17:03 08 Apr 04

let us know of any progress

good luck

mrdsgs

Dae 17:23 08 Apr 04

Pushing the Menu button on the monitor, crx1600, does nothing other than change the colours and patterns in that 2mm wide central vertical band. The + and - buttons have no effect.

Just noticed my original post said it was a 2cm wide band: that was wrong, it is 2mm wide.

Dae

mrdsgs 18:48 08 Apr 04

try a different monitor, and also try same monitor ona different pc and post back

mrdsgs

Dae 21:25 08 Apr 04

Hi,

I have now tried replacing the CRT monitor with a known good TFT screen (but kept the CRT original connecting lead).

A perfect picture showed up on the TFT screen. I conclude I have a faulty CRT monitor. Final proof would be if the TFT screen did not work on a known good computer, but the monitor is heavy and I do not fancy moving it just yet.

Thanks for your encouragement: I have not had to swap CRT monitors/TFT screens before, and did not know what to expect.

Regards,

Dae

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…