Monitor connector types

symphony 20:09 04 Jan 08

I understand there's different connector types for monitors (?)
Is it a safe bet to buy any monitor and get a convertor if necessary?
My comp is on its way and I don't know what connector it has for a monitor-maybe I'll phone the supplier.

Basically can I buy any flat screen TFT and not have to worry about compatibility because a convertor would make it compatible??

STREETWORK 20:33 04 Jan 08

You can get adapters to fit between the TFT and the graphics socket, most supply them with the TFt, worth checking this...

Gongoozler 21:08 04 Jan 08

In the main there are two connector type - VGA for analogue and DVI for digital. Most flat panel monitors have both, and if your graphics card has a digital connector, then that's the one to use. Often you will have to use the analogue VGA connector until you have installed the monitor drivers. The graphics card in this picture has both VGA and DVI (the rectangular connectors - not the round one) click here
The digital signal will give a significantly better image on a good quality monitor.

gibfish26 15:55 05 Jan 08

hi all just bought a new 19" widescreen monitor from dell,it has 2 connections vga/dvi,i want to use the dvi but i have not got this type of connector on my tower,my tower is a dell inspiron 530,3 months old it only has a vga connector.my graphics card is a ati g31 integrated,2 gig ram,how can i make the dvi connection on my tower,i dont have to change motherboard do i.would appreciate your advice on this issue.thanks.gibfish26.

gibfish26 16:52 05 Jan 08

hi all just bought a new 19" widescreen monitor from dell,it has 2 connections,vga/dvi,i want to use the dvi but i have not got this type of connector on my tower,my tower is a dell 530 inspiron,3 months old,it only has a vga connection.my graphics card is a ATI G/31 integrated,i have 2 gig of ram installed.how can i make the dvi connection on my tower,i dont have to change my motherboard do i.would appreciate any advice on this issue.thanks.
gibfish26.

gibfish26 16:55 05 Jan 08

hi this is gibfish26,sorry for these above postings,forgot to click above for new subject.

100andthirty 17:31 05 Jan 08

gibfish

don't worry about it - use VGA; and one day, when you upgrade you can used DVI

gibfish26 17:13 06 Jan 08

hi ,100andthirty,thanks for your reply,so does this mean i would need to fit a seperate graphics card,as i said in my post my card is integrated.thanks again gibfish26.

DieSse 21:52 06 Jan 08

Yes you would have to fit a graphics card with a DVI output. An adapter, whilst it would work, will win you nothing at all.

Just use VGA to VGA for now. With decent monitors it's often difficult to see any improvement with DVI anyway.

symphony 10:32 07 Jan 08

Any more info/comments/ suggestions please on:

Is there a significant difference in monitor picture quality when using VGA as opposed to DVI connections????

As it stands, my comp, (on order) has VGA only. Going to spend a significant amount on a good monitor. Is VGA really a significant disadvantage??

DieSse 13:00 07 Jan 08

"Is VGA really a significant disadvantage??"

Not really - it varies from monitor to monitor. Most times you'd be hard pushed to see a difference.

If it's fairly easy for you to specify a DVI output on the computer, I would do so - notwithstanding the above.

I'm not quite sure why you would "spend a significant amount on a good monitor" to go with a PC that's only got a VGA output (which implies on-board graphics).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The updated 'Corel Painter inside Photoshop' plugin ParticleShop offers new brushes

New MacBook Pro 2017 release date, UK price and tech specs: Kaby Lake MacBook Pro to launch in…