Monitor colours 'wishy washy'

Charlie Babbage 12:10 09 Jan 07

A friend's monitor is noy displaying colours correctly eg PC Advisor banner at the top of this page is a bluish colour rather than red.

I have tried Start > Control Panel > Display > Settings. I have tried both 16 bit and 32 bit but this does not make any difference. Any further things I can try would be appreciated.

recap 12:16 09 Jan 07

See if there is a degauss facility on the monitor, if so try this.

If not, the graphics card or monitor could be on the way out.

recap 12:16 09 Jan 07

See if there is a degauss facility on the monitor, if so try this.

If not, the graphics card or monitor could be on the way out.

recap 12:17 09 Jan 07

sorry pressed the wrong button.

If you suspect the monitor, try connecting it to another pc to see if it has the same effect.

wee eddie 12:20 09 Jan 07

Is it CRT or TFT.

It could be worth reseting the Graphics Card, if there is one.

Might be worth opening the PC in Safe Mode just to see what happens.

skeletal 12:34 09 Jan 07

If you can get the monitor to display something like its locally generated set up screen (rather than something generated by the computer) and this shows white correctly, the monitor itself is likely to be OK. If this shows a blue tint/no red, it is likely to be broken.

If it is white, then it could be the video cable’s plugs and sockets at the computer end, or monitor end; less likely, the cable itself. Wiggle the connections gently and see if it springs to life.

Final culprit, the graphics card.

By far the easiest way to find out is by trying another monitor...if you can borrow one.

Skeletal

Leslie-212488 14:06 09 Jan 07

looks like you have lost the red signal, most likely a break in the signal cable. It normally occurs at the monitor end, grasp the lead close to the monitor housing and try moving it around. If the picture changes and the colour goes back to normal, then you have found the problem.
There is not much that you can do, i am afraid, but change the lead, if its detachable. Or replace the monitor.

Charlie Babbage 14:12 09 Jan 07

... I'd forgotten about the buttons on the front of the TFT monitor! Also, the suggestion by desboy is certainly worth a try when I next see my friend.

I'm fairly sure the monitor is the problem - the display was ok on my monitor when I did a reinstall of Win XP.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…