Monitor

281apple 10:58 13 Jun 07

My present monitor is 9 years old and getting tired.
I am therefore on the verge of buying a 19" monitor and I do not know if I should buy one with or without loud speakers built in. I have no music on my computer except for background music I use for video. Any suggestions.

In fact any suggestions which could help me not buy the wrong monitor would be helpful.

Smiler 11:04 13 Jun 07

If you already have speakers why would you want any more??
If at a later date you decide to start listening to music then you could by a decent set.

wee eddie 11:37 13 Jun 07

The speakers built into TFT Screens tend to be small and tinny but are adequate if you're not particularly fussy. The price differences are marginal for built-in speakers.

Visit PC World and try them if you get a chance. a 2.1 Speaker System (the 1 refers to a Sub-Woofer) will improve your experience.

281apple 14:21 13 Jun 07

Thanks. Your replies put my thinking cap on. Yes I already had speakers which are satisfactory. The old monitor had no speakers installed in them....it was really an old one.
I think I'll just buy a monitor without speakers and use the ones I have which are OK.
I should have thought about that before asking for help.

281apple 14:21 13 Jun 07

Thanks. Your replies put my thinking cap on. Yes I already had speakers which are satisfactory. The old monitor had no speakers installed in them....it was really an old one.
I think I'll just buy a monitor without speakers and use the ones I have which are OK.
I should have thought about that before asking for help.

keef66 17:07 13 Jun 07

Monitor choices at the moment:

don't bother with built-in speakers, they are generally poor.

don't worry about it having a DVI connector unless your current pc has DVI output, or you're likely to replace the pc in the near future, in which case the new one will probably have it.

A 19" 4:3 monitor only has the same resolution as a 17" one, it's just that the pixels are slightly bigger. You need to go up to 20" and beyond to get higher resolution.

Do you want a widescreen monitor? Best for watching DVD's and for gaming, but also incredibly useful for office work, comparing 2 documents side by side etc.

Make sure it has the height / tilt / swivel adjustments you need (many cheap ones don't)

Very fast response times are only important for fast moving images (DVD'd / games) so don't worry about that unneccessarily

Choose one with a 3 year manufacturers warranty

281apple 17:25 13 Jun 07

When you wrote "incredibly useful for office work, comparing 2 documents side by side etc.", you wrote something I did not even think about and doing a lot of translation (English/French) this is exactly what I need. Never having had something modern I did not even thing of check out your suggestion "height / tilt / swivel adjustments" and I had already heard to get a 3 year mnufacturers warranty.

OK keef66, I'll be buying it in early July. Thanks for your input without which I could have gotten scr.....d.

keef66 11:38 14 Jun 07

I have a Samsung 205bw which is a 20" widescreen. This lets me look at 2 A4 pages side by side, nearly full size. Also very handy for Excel where I can see many more columns without any scrolling. It also has all the ergonomic adjustments I wanted.

I use it with a DVI connector, and the display is crystal clear.

I'm sure this model has now been superseded, but I think they are only getting better.

281apple 15:11 14 Jun 07

I put A4 documents side by side on my present 17" monitor and with a bit of jongling, I work OK with them. But I work a lot with Photoshop, STudio9 and I do three or four slide shows per year using Studio9 and a side by side approach would be really helpful. But with a wide monitor it would of course be better. Please don't laugh but I do not know what a DVI connector is and what may be funny about it is that I might have one but call it another name. One of my computers is configured in French and the other one in Spanish. What do you mean by a DVI connector?

Smiler 15:18 14 Jun 07

DVI - Digital Visual Interface

click here

keef66 16:06 14 Jun 07

the older analogue connectors from pc to monitor are generally blue in colour.

the newer digital standard DVI (see Smiler's link for the detail) involves slightly different shaped white connectors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sony Xperia XZ Premium review: Hands-on with the new 4K HDR phone with Motion Eye camera and Snapdr5…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best laptop for design and art 2017: we test Apple, Dell, HP, Lenovo and Microsoft's best models…

CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: CarPlay tips & troubleshooting guide: Get the most from…