ModName: msvcr80.dll

exdragon 14:30 25 Jun 08

After having hijacked someone else's thread, I'm starting one of my own.

My Photoshop CS3 keeps encountering errors and shutting down, with the above error message. Following a suggestion, I've run sfc \scannow in an attempt to replace any missing files. My Windows cd (XP Home) includes service pack 1a although when my pc was reformatted recently, sp2 was put on.

Sfc asks firstly for XP Professional cd with sp2 and when I select 'retry' several times, it asks for a Home cd. It obviously then installs things as every so often, it asks me to insert the cd.

If I downloaded sp2 onto a disc, could I use it whenever sfc asked for it, and then change to my Windows disc?

I can't remember when the error first occurred, but if I try a system restore, will it roll back everything which I've installed since the point I choose?

exdragon 20:14 03 Jul 08

Anyone new got any ideas about this, please? I've run sfc a couple of times and it's obviously picking up something from the Windows disk.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled CS3 a couple of times, but am still getting this msvcr80.dll error.

As there are lots of results when I do a search for it, can I copy and paste it somewhere...anywhere??

rdave13 20:39 03 Jul 08

Found this; click here
you'll need to scroll down a bit for the replies. Hope it helps.

T0SH 21:10 03 Jul 08

That dll is not a windows file so SFC will not do anything if CS3 needs this file it should have a copy in its own install directory on my system it shows up in a few different program directories in the Program Files folder

You could try copying this file from another programs directory to the CS3 program directory but be warned CS3 may require it in a specific version

Cheers HC

exdragon 21:11 03 Jul 08

Thanks, rdave13, but you have to sign up first with credit card details.

This time, when I try repairing it, I get a message saying the media has moved and to put it back where it should be!

Oh, if only I could...

Technotiger 21:28 03 Jul 08

Download/install the free Glary Utilities click here then run the 1-click Maintenance, only takes a few minutes, this might clear your problem.

A very useful program to have anyway.

exdragon 21:32 03 Jul 08

I've done a search on the CD, but it's not there, but I've had a look in the programme directory and the blasted thing is there! What on earth is it playing at? The last time I searched all drives, it most cetainly wasn't!

Should it be in some other place as well, do you know?

I'm off to play with it again to see if it's still giving me grief.

Anyone do counselling?

exdragon 21:50 03 Jul 08

Well, I've just managed to whiz through half a dozen images, opening, closing, adjusting etc and I've got further than ever before. so fingers crossed, I may be in luck.

Technotiger - that looks useful, I've bookmarked it, thanks.

rdave13 04:32 04 Jul 08

Forget the 'start your free trial' link. Scrooooooll down for the replies! Apparently if you have MS intellipoint 6.1 installed then this clashed with CS3.Intellipoinr version 5.5 works ok.

exdragon 07:39 04 Jul 08

Doh! Didn't go far enough - yes, I've got 6.1, in fact, now I remember, I updated all my drivers...

Breakfast, then I'll try reverting to the earlier version.

Many thanks

exdragon 08:22 05 Jul 08

Fingers crossed, it seems to have woprked so far - thanks a lot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…