Modems

cearve 22:14 15 Jan 03
  cearve 22:14 15 Jan 03

Could you tell me what the difference is between hard and soft modems. What is the advantage of using one above the other. Are both suitable for installing in older computer?

Stuartli 23:17 15 Jan 03

A "soft" modem applies more use of the CPU - a PCI modem such as a Diamond SupraExpress is much better and can be updated driver wise if required.

Strangely enough I've just got round tonight to finally updating the driver for my SupraExpress 56i V Pro after having it for three years; it's speeded up downloading quite markedly.

BigMoFoT 23:17 15 Jan 03

The difference is; A soft Modem is not controlled by the modem but by the main CPU a hard modem can control itself

I think!

New PC's = soft modems
Old PC's = hard modems

Old PC's and New Modems do not mix as they is insufficient processing power.

WaTcHiNg 23:23 15 Jan 03

Also software modems tend to require MMX instructions only found in P166 (typically) and above

cearve 23:26 15 Jan 03

I am using a Supra SST 56i Pro DVF.92 modem with an Athlon XP1800. Would I benefit from seeing if there is a software update available. If so where would I find it?

Giggle n' Bits 23:53 15 Jan 03

Software controlled Modem. I can get a PCI V92/56K for about £12 and connect at 48,000Kbps using a computer with 16MB Simm and a Cyrix P166 VX Chipset Mboard.

As above says the MMX CPU Support is needed on most oldie PC's mainly the Intel Modem Chipset controllers modems is strict on wanting the MMX.

Agere Chipset is user friendly and gives adequate perfomance for a budget PCI modem.

I see that USR have just released a PCI V92 3Com chipset (Or otherway round) in PCI and External Com Port format.

I have also on my main PC a External USR V90/56K Message Pro and connects at 52,400 Kbps on BT line. With Freeserve.

Controllerless Chipset modem at the end of the day for budget and old machines and External Modems for newer is my preferance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…