Modem/router firewall

daisy2bell 09:52 10 Nov 05

I have a Netgear modem router and am setting up a wireless connection.
Can I disable the routers firewall and use my existing firewall, or do I have to have the modem/router firewall on. If I have to have it on, what happens to my existing firewall, do I leave it on or off

De Marcus™ 10:13 10 Nov 05

You can leave both on. Although for initial wireless network setup you may find it easier to disable them first and re-enable after successful wireless connection.

daisy2bell 10:15 10 Nov 05

Thanks for that. but is it safe to disable the Modem / Router firewall and just use my normal firewall?

De Marcus™ 10:33 10 Nov 05

Yes it is, so long as have at least a firewall in place. Given a choice it is better to have a hardware firewall as they are more robust than software based one's. However, millions of people around the world survive just fine with software based firewalls and some use the built in windows one or none at all. It depends really on how paranoid you are (not a dig).

daisy2bell 10:39 10 Nov 05

By hardware firewall do you mean my normal firewall, in other words not the modem/router one

De Marcus™ 11:07 10 Nov 05

Hardware firewall - The one that's built into the modem/router.

Software firewall - The one that sits in your system tray on the bottom right hand of your screen and needs installing either from cd or via a download (or windows' own) some of the best free one's include zonealarm and sygate.

daisy2bell 13:13 10 Nov 05

Thanks for that De Marcus™

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…