Modem/router advice please

FatboySlim71 11:38 29 Sep 07

I currently have a Netgear DG834G V3. I am on 8MB ADSL max, but like others I do get a fluctuating noise margin result in my statistics, which I believe is common for this model.

I have read that the Speedtouch 585v6 is a very reliable/stable model and also in the respect of noise margin, I have also heard that some people get an higher noise margin than they previously did with other brands of modem/router.

The only real criticism I have heard of the Speedtouch 585v6, is that its wireless range isn't very good. But this is unimportant to me as I never use the wireless option as I always have the modem/router connected to my desktop PC via the Ethernet cable.

I was just wanting a bit of advice please from anyone who uses the Speedtouch 585v6 and how do they compare from other makes/models they have used.

Thanks

FatboySlim71 16:40 29 Sep 07

bump

Dipso 17:32 29 Sep 07

I have used both of the above. I did experience the noise margin problems with the Netgear although I only lost the connection on one occasion because of it. Even so, due to the way ADSL Max works and the effects sudden drops in connection can have on the BRAS profile system I felt happier replacing it with a 585v6. I got a refurb for only £20 plus postage but it was like new and proved to be well worth the money.

Athough my noise margin didn't increase, it no longer fluctuated.

There is also the added advantage of it being compatible with the DMT tool click here which can be used to monitor the routers stats, tweak the noise margin and issue simple commands via telnet although this can only be done with firmware 6.1 not the latest 6.2.

I'm sorry if I have already told you this...bad memory...but it will serve as a bump as I know there are a few other guys on here that use these.

FatboySlim71 17:36 29 Sep 07

Thanks Dipso for the reply.

FatboySlim71 22:23 29 Sep 07

bump

FatboySlim71 08:06 30 Sep 07

bump

FatboySlim71 10:03 30 Sep 07

I'm also considering the DrayTek VIGOR 2700G after reading some good things about them on the net, does anyone use them?

Dipso 14:01 30 Sep 07

The 2800G, it's younger brother didn't fair too well with ADSL Max...not sure about the 2700G. I'm don't know what they're priced at now but they used to be very expensive...a lot of money to lose if it's not going to work that well.

Another one to check out is the BT Business Hub aka 2wire 2700HGV. They tend to be mainly sourced via Ebay but they are a very stable router and the wireless performs well.

FatboySlim71 20:24 30 Sep 07

Thanks Dipso. The more I think about it the more I am getting swayed towards the Speedtouch 585, they seem to be a much liked.

FatboySlim71 20:41 30 Sep 07

Any other opinions/advice on the Speedtouch 585 would be appreciated. :-)

FatboySlim71 22:47 30 Sep 07

bump

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation technologies coming to Siggraph 2017

iPad Pro 12.9 vs Surface Pro 5