modem/com port

epic 08:41 07 Feb 03

Tried to replace modem on win 98 pc by removing old one from modems and com port 4 from device manager as I had read.

Now cannot get pc to accept either modem as a plug and play item on start up, but can load modems manually but cannot test as pc does not recognise.

How do I restore com port 4.

Ideas please.

DieSse 09:46 07 Feb 03

Com ports 3 and 4 are not normally items in your system, but are actually on the modem board, in one form or another.

The only way to install modern modems is to remove all traces of the existing one - reboot the system - when Windows detects the new one, have your CD in so that it can find and install all the required software. This includes identifying and installing the Com port on the modem.

If Windows can't find the modem when it reboots, tyr moving it to a different PCI slot inside the systemm, as a first step.

epic 10:32 07 Feb 03

Can you be more specific regarding removing all traces from system ie correct procedure. As I am a bit new to this game.

woodchip 10:40 07 Feb 03

ether got to modem in control panel or add new hardware and try from there you can choose the port from there if it cannot find you may still have a prob

DieSse 12:34 07 Feb 03

Unisntall any references to it in the Control Panel - Modems.

Unistall any software for it showing in Add/Remove programs.

Dave123 12:46 07 Feb 03

I have the same problem, it appears to install the s/w but when I try to use it it says it's not turned on or not set correctly. I just come back from the shop and they say I have to remove the reference to in in unknown devices (control panel/settings/devices) I must admit I've never seen this setting but I'll have another go.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…