modem zapped by lightining?

dazzling 20:30 06 May 03

over the weekend we had a lightining storm.today my friend rang me and asked if i would look at his computer it would not connect to the internet.its a tiny pc for modem manefacturer it says modem vendor im assuming tiny chipset is ich 82801 aa.when he trys to connect he gets the following messages 1- MTLHAL DOES NOT SUPPOURT MODEM 2-MTLSTRM CAN NOT LOAD HAL DRIVER 3-MTLMDM CANT OPEN STREAM MANAGER.device manager reports drivers installed and modem working correctly.in modem settings cant get info about modem just get the 3 errors and eventually it says port already open.he does not have a driver disk and im not sure of chipset.any ideas is it frazzled or does it just need drivers if so does anyone know which ones thanks darren

MartinT-B 20:47 06 May 03

It's a possibilty, but unless you, or someone else is confident enough to open the PC and check you'll never know for sure.

One of my friends had a lightning stike about 300yrds from his house - onto the raised part of the Wimbledon extension of the District Line nr. Parson's Green. The Lightning hit the rail track, but 'pulsed' up his telephone cable and via his modem fried his Hard drive. So it's possible to have problems even if the lightning is only in the area.

I'd get it checked out properly. He may need a new Modem, or it might just be a re-installation issue.

countryboy 20:49 06 May 03

Would suggest that the modem has been fryed, Its happened to me twice so I now have a surge suppressor in the modem line. saves a lot of money in the long term.

rmn 07:49 07 May 03

thanks guys darren

H-J 08:09 07 May 03

Its possibe you might be able to to get one from time/tiny, but you will pay through the nose on a premium rate phone line. simpler to just buy one. you should be able to pick a basic 56k/v90 up for about £10-12

Hugh

rmn 12:27 07 May 03

turns out that chipset is from the intel controller i\o hub any ideas

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…