Modem wont do as its told

Jai 09:52 27 Jan 04

Running ME with 256RAM ; AMD900; When I switch the computer on it runs fine & automatically connects to the web. I check my mail etc. I then disconnect & use the computer for work etc. When i want to re-connect I click the "e" next to the start button. This opens IE as usual but the modem
won't dial out. Have tried different short cuts & clicked OE icon but no dial out from anything. It used to work fine. I suspect a software instruction has been hijacked. Any tips?

DieSse 10:08 27 Jan 04

Open IE - look in Tools - Internet Options - Connections.

Is the box "Always dial my default connection" marked? If not, mark it, close down IE and try again.

Jai 11:02 27 Jan 04

DieSse
Thanks this does connect the modem. However -
I also noticed that my IE opens along with a another program/toolbar (the parasite) which I cant delete or remove.
The only clue it gives is -
ecmh.com/passthrough/index.html?
Any clues on how to obliterate this pest?

lpl56407 12:48 27 Jan 04

This is an article which details the variants of the browser hijacker known as CoolWebSearch (CWS). In the last few months, the people behind this name have succeeded in becoming (IMHO) an even bigger nuisance than the now infamous Lop.

The difficulty of removing CWS from a user's system has grown from slightly tricky in the first variant to virtually impossible for the latest few. Some of the variants even used methods of hiding and running themselves that had never been used before in any other spyware strains.

The chronological order in which the CWS variants appeared is detailed here, along with the approximate dates when they appeared online. However, since the evil programmers of CWS have released over two dozen versions of their hijacker on the advertising market in such a short time, and are crunching out new ones steadily practically every week, this document might be out of date at times.

The CWShredder tool to remove Coolwebsearch will always be up to date and is updated as fast as possible when new variants emerge.
SO YOU NEED CWSHREDDER.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…