Modem Won't Connect

The Spires 15:14 29 Aug 04

A friends Pc has Windows XP on recently installed & using dial up connection which is where the problem lies. The pc will happily connect to the net at my house first time every time but refuses to get past the hand shake when installed at my friend’s house. She uses a 0845 number to connect and it seems after the initial dial the modem picks up what sounds like an engaged tone for a few seconds & then attempts a hand shake, after which the connection fails or connects at a very slow speed.

I found out today that she also uses Glow Telecom with Carrier Pre-select on a BT line, however I also use Toucan with CPS and have no problems. I have removed wait for dial tone etc to no avail. There is no information on the Glow Telecom web site. There are no reported problems with the modem in device manager & the pc was ok until the reinstallation of XP which was done because of viral problems and as said earlier it works fine at my house, any ideas anyone?

chugby 19:34 29 Aug 04

wonder if there's a problem with the phone extn/line, could try another socket and also get BT to check line.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…