Modem V's Router dialema.....

FRANKMAC 13:17 13 Aug 06

Current setup…. 2 x pc’s running Win XP, PC1 has Alcatel Speed Touch Modem installed via USB to BT Yahoo Broadband, PC2 is connected via Network cable and access’s the internet via PC1, all works very well, however both PC’s have to be on for PC2 to connect to the WWW.

I have a BT Voyager 205 router (donated by a friend!) and would prefer to use this as this would eliminate the problem of having both PC’s switched on, as it has both USB and Ethernet connections available.

I understand that if I used the Router on PC1 I would not need any drivers if I connected it via Ethernet cable & Network card.

Q1 Would this mean PC2 would require the necessary drivers for the router to connect to the WWW via the USB option and would I need to install all the BT software (Bt Browser and other useless stuff) that comes with the supplied disk.

Q2 Would it be best to keep the same setup as now PC1 Via USB and PC2 using the Ethernet connection to the Router rather then connecting via the network cards on each PC, which would probably require the installation of drivers and BT software on PC1 ?

Q3 Is there any better way of configuring this set up, avoiding the required installation of the BT Software?

Any other solutions gratefully appreciated, as you may have gathered I really do not want to install the BT browser etc…

Thanks in advance, Mac.

FelixTCat 13:50 13 Aug 06

Mac,

The best advice would be to connect the pc you use the most by ethernet cable and the other one by USB. I would only change that advice if one pc were very much less powerful than the other, because a USB modem uses far more resources than an ethernet connection.

The only software you need is the USB software, if any, to connect the pc to the router; since I have never set up a usb router, I don't know whether you need anything other than that built-in to XP.

Regards,

Felix

FRANKMAC 17:47 13 Aug 06

any more suggestions ?

woodchip 17:52 13 Aug 06

You will not need any drivers if the Cards are already working in the Computers. All you will have to do is setup the Router through IE by entering the Address and then press Enter key. Both comps need there own Ethernet Cable to connect to the router

mgmcc 20:16 13 Aug 06

If, as I suspect, the router only has a single ethernet port and a USB port, I would be inclined to get a 4-port network switch and plug that into the router's single ethernet port to provide additional ethernet access. Then connect both computers by ethernet.

FRANKMAC 22:18 14 Aug 06

thanks for the advice guys, reliable info yet again.

FRANKMAC 09:32 20 Aug 06

Just to let you guys know the results....
Used Ethernet connection on PC1 - worked straight away, no problems.
Downloaded USB drivers for PC2 from BT, installed, I then connected PC 2, running first time, WHAT A RESULT !

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now