Modem versus Router

spuds 13:24 17 Oct 06

This as possibly been asked hundreds of time, so I will make an apology for raising the question again.

What are the advantages and disadvantages for using an ADSL modem (normally supplied as part of a ISP package deal) and a router.

At present I use a Thomson SpeedTouch 330, and have available a Sagem [email protected] 800 ET2 both supplied by Tiscali, plus an Ebuyer/Safecom 4-port cable/dsl broadband router with usb printer server unit (Product SBRU-10100). The router looks a bit complicated to set-up, hence purchased but not installed.

Any help, advice or information warmly welcomed.

Dipso 13:42 17 Oct 06

Ability to network PC's.

As you have a printer server, the ability to share a printer between your networked PC's.

Can connect more than one PC to a broadband connection at once.

No need to "dial-up" as connection always-on.

Routers are more suited to the new up to 8Meg products than USB modems as disconnecting/reconnecting can confuse the BT monitoring kit and cause speed problems.

Many routers have built-in firewall for added security.

There's probably tonnes more I haven't thought of.

ed-0 13:53 17 Oct 06

If you have one computer and don't mind the wire from the modem to the computer, use the modem.

If you use a laptop or want less wires to a single computer. use a router.

If you have more than one computer, you want to share the internet, files and printing, use a router.

just had a look at the manual click here#. Installation looks simple enough.

amonra 15:42 17 Oct 06

Use the router, no dial-up, always on, and if anyone else wants to use your BB, they can just plug into a spare socket on the router.
Another possible advantage, if lightning strikes your telephone line, the router goes POOFF but the rest of your system stays OK.
I bought two really cheap routers from Ebuyer and they were quite easy to set up, no problems.

spuds 19:03 17 Oct 06

Thanks for the response everyone, great information. Looking further into the router conversion procedure.

sunny staines 23:40 17 Oct 06

got 6meg out of adsl modem, wifi router get max 8meg. with same ISP.

sunny staines 23:41 17 Oct 06

got 6meg out of adsl modem, wifi router get max 8meg. with same ISP.

woodchip 23:50 17 Oct 06

You cannot use a Router without a Modem so thread title does not add-up

JayDay 08:09 18 Oct 06

When I swapped my Speedtouch 330 for a router I noticed a small speed increase.

Biggest advantage for me is the always on. I boot up the PC windows starts and the connection is there.

Dipso 09:47 18 Oct 06

I was presuming the router you have bought had a built-in modem but it appears it doesn't. Do you realise you can't use this along with your Speedtouch. There are no USB ports to connect the modem to. It's more suited to those with cable broadband.

It is possible to get an ethernet modem to connect to it but they are few and far between and the cost would end up more than buying a combined modem/router.

You would have been better off going for something like this click here but it doesn't have a print server.

ed-0 12:52 18 Oct 06

Is right.

spuds

You have the wrong type of router.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…