Modem Utilities

henza_mapenza 12:58 13 Sep 03

I have got a built in modem and i am using windows XP. I am not a all time internet user so i'm on pay as you go. Sometimes my internet connection is very sloppy and is very slow. I went and looked for modem optimizing utilities on the not but there are hundreds of different one. It will be helpful if you pick out the best ones or the ones that actually increase connectivity speeds. I download a lot to keep my computer updated but its taking hours. It would be helpful if you gave me some dtails about the ones that do the most difference. Thanks.

Jester2K II 13:48 13 Sep 03

To be honest these utilities that claim to "Increase your connection by 400%" etc are very random in their work.

What works on your PC may not work on another etc.

There is more to a good Internet connection than just the settings. The quality of the phone line is also a factor.

If you tell us more about your modem and the connection speeds then maybe there are a few things that can be fixed but there is no magic fix program.

henza_mapenza 13:55 13 Sep 03

My modem is a 56k modem made by CTX.

Jester2K II 14:01 13 Sep 03

We'll need a model number too..

Most modems are 56k however you say it runs slow but you should have an icon with 2 computers flashing at the bottom right of the screen when connected.

Double click it and tell me what the bps number is...

32000 bps

henza_mapenza 14:09 13 Sep 03

I think it is around 56000 bps
maximum port speed is 115200

Jester2K II 14:14 13 Sep 03

I need to know what speeds you are getting! Not the theoretical maximum.

For example if you bought a car and it only did 35 mph top speed when the salesman said it would do 150 mph you would tell the salesman your car is faulty because it only does 35 mph.

I need to know how fast your connection IS not how fast it CAN go.

henza_mapenza 14:24 13 Sep 03

My modem speed is 50.6 kbps

Jester2K II 12:50 14 Sep 03

So you are connecting at 50.6kps - this is pretty good on a 56k modem. Try click here but i can't guarantee results.

henza_mapenza 12:32 21 Sep 03

Thanks to Jester2K II providing me with a link to cybertweak, it really improved mt download speeds, coupled with download accelerator download speeds are average about 4.7kb/sec to 5.2kb/sec. I was really impressed with this so a big thank you to Jester2K II.

-pops- 14:13 21 Sep 03

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…