Modem Types

MarcSmith 16:19 23 Mar 06

Hi,
Could anyone advise me on what I have to do if I currently have a broadband connection (all connected up and installed) in my home but my PC only seems to have a 56k modem installed.
ie: Is there still a way I can connect to the internet on my PC via my broadband cable?
The connector on the back of my PC tower, where I would plug in the telephone cable, is too small for the larger broadband cable to connect to.
Maybe I need to buy a broadband modem, or can I just attach some sort of adapter? I would prefer to not have to buy a whole new modem. Don't mind buying a cheap adapter!
Thanks & regards,
Marc.

oldal 16:50 23 Mar 06

There aren't any adapters available I'm afraid, you will have to buy an ADSL modem , this will interface with yor PC either via a USB port or an Ethernet adapter. You may have one or the other already installed on your machine.
Many ISP's provide a modem free when you sign up for Broadband.

oldal 16:56 23 Mar 06

Further to my previous, have a look on Ebay, many people are selling modems when they upgrade to a router or wireless setup.

MarcSmith 17:00 23 Mar 06

Thanks for this.
I actually have a wireless broadband modem in my home - it is currently used on my brother's laptop.
I am wondering if there is a way that I can adapt my 56k PC to be used the broadband modem? There is currently nowhere to insert the broadband cable as it is too large for the socket.
Thanks again,
Marc.

The Kestrel 17:04 23 Mar 06

You can buy a USB wireless adapter, which attaches via a USB port on your PC. You will then be able to connect to the internet via your brother's wireless modem, as I'm assuming it is a combined router as well.

oldal 17:13 23 Mar 06

Another possibility is to buy a PCI wireless LAN adapter for your PC you can then connect as The Kestrel suggests. Cards available from eg Ebuyer for about £15.00

MarcSmith 17:23 23 Mar 06

That should do the job.
Thanks again.

ade.h 19:09 23 Mar 06

Not all ADSL modems are external; there are PCI versions too. click here

Stuartli 19:53 23 Mar 06

Most ISPs provide a modem when you sign up for Broadband. Was the BB service installed when you first moved in?

MarcSmith 00:32 24 Mar 06

Yes, there is a broadband modem here - just no connector for the modem and PC.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…