Modem Trouble

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 02:48 21 Jan 03
  Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 02:48 21 Jan 03

Right funny one this my internet connection was working fine till around 8ish tonight then when i had to redial i couldnt get through so i lifted the phone and found out why ,when i dial my Number to connect it just goes dead(long whineing noise)like the number doesnt exist but if i carry on it does eventually connect but at such a slow speed its impossible to do anything
7000 at one point,and once when i dialed i got put through to the operator and she couldnt understand why when dialing my ISP i got her,so she ran a line check and that was ok,so i rang my ISP helpline and they said after much umming and areing that every thing was fine,so off i go to connect only to hear a women voice telling me that she couldnt find any record of me haveing permission to accsess the server on the number i dialed.So i left it cos was getting very wound up by this time and low and behold dialed up at 230am
and wham straight on no problem,so am i doing something wrong or is my pc knackered im stummped.

Regards.

Lú-tzé 08:02 21 Jan 03

I doubt that your pc is "knackered" - more likely that it is a telecoms issue somewhere. But it is a strange one all right...

BRYNIT 09:45 21 Jan 03

I agree with Lú-tzé see. If your modem has no problems sending a fax see if their is another dial up number you can use.

Gongoozler 09:50 21 Jan 03

ÑÌÇKÑÂMË, it is for just such situations that I always like to have an account with a second pay-as-you-go ISP, then if my main ISP has problems, for just a penny a minute I can connect to the second ISP and confirm that there is no problem at my end.

Stokey 10:57 21 Jan 03

I'm with Gongoozler on this one. I remember one early morning I did everything except fit a new modem. Would have done if I could have got one at 3.00 am. When I got up it was all OK -- the ISP had been down for 3 hrs.

I now have a pay-as-you-go waitng for the next time!!

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 11:49 21 Jan 03

Thanks everyone a second ISP sounds like a good idea,but im not sure how to set one up without interfering with main one,i did sort the problem this morning rang isp again and they gave me a new number to dial apparently the old one was discontinued and nobody told anybody lol.

Regards.

P.s
What would be a good second isp on pay as you go?

Switcher 11:53 21 Jan 03

Onetel at 1p/min

Â ÑÌÇKÑÂMË 12:12 21 Jan 03

thanks

Lú-tzé 12:34 21 Jan 03

ÑÌÇKÑÂMË - to set up a new DUN connection without interfering with the current one:

go to the website and sign up - onetel in your case.

go into DUN (or network & dial up connections - depends on your version).

double click on "Make new connection"

you will have to enter a phone number, user name, password etc.

It is quite straightforward - just don't use the automatic scripts for that as it will set the new one as default, as well as change your smtp settings and so on. You can change these manually if you need to send email via the new connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced