Modem trouble

Thurrafork 18:57 14 Apr 06

Hi folks
I've reformatted and reinstalled windows xp on my 3 year old pc so that I can give it to my mum as I've got a new machine.
After the Windows installation I went through my discs and installed all the device drivers, the problem is that after installing the intel modem driver, it says in the device manager properties box: "This device cannot find enough free resources that it can use (code 12)
If you want to use this device, you will need to disable one of the other devices on this system"
Grr! I tried disabling some other things to no avail, but I shouldn't have to as nothing has changed on my system to cause the problem. Do you think this indicates that the modem has suddenly died? Or am I missing something obvious?

Here's some more info that may be relevant: Intel(R) 536EP V.92 Modem, PCI Slot 3 (PCI bus 0, device 7, function 0)

Marsh Warden © ™ 19:19 14 Apr 06

Sounds like an IRQ conflict, sheck to see what COM Port your modem has installed itself to, they usually install COM Port 3 and assign itself to that. COM Ports 1 & 3 use the same IRQ.s so try changing thr modem in it's properties to COM port 3,

If no COM Port 3 is there, you can install it yourself from the Add Hardware Wizard in Control Panel

remind 19:28 14 Apr 06

From experience, the 536 doesn't work very well with Win2k/XP, maxing out at 33kbps regardless of line quality - seems to co-operate with Windows 98 and ME much better. I'd ditch that modem and buy a decent hardware job for £10.

Stuartli 19:45 14 Apr 06

I used an Intel 536 chipset modem with my XP Pro system for some time before getting broadband - it regularly returned a minimim of 46kbps (although a previous Diamond SupraExpress 56i V Pro did 49.2kbps with Tiscali and 52kbps with Pipex).

However, the same 536 chipset modem won't better 33.6kbps on a friend's 98SE system even though configuration is spot on, although bringing the system case to my house has it going at 46kbps upwards...:-)

Yet the friend lives around the corner from the exchange and I'm just under 600 yards away.

remind 19:54 14 Apr 06

Strange, as I stated I had precisely the opposite experience. Either way the 536 is a software modem and has more dependence on the CPU of the machine it's installed in. I suppose all that can be gathered from that is if the modem doesn't run at full steam when it actually works, it's not unheard of.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…