Modem Trouble

dowson 18:44 31 Oct 03

Hi,
i tried to upgrade a friends computer and i put in a new modem, intalled drivers, everthing fine!!!
But where connected to the phone line it won't recognise a dial tone.....
I've tried two cables, and even a drifferent PCI slot just to be sure....
Any sugestions PLZ!!!! URGENT !!!!!

Thanks

Modem Is;
561mi 56k pci modem intel

Limehouse 18:51 31 Oct 03

Go to the settings and look around, somewhere there is a checkbox to turn off "Wait for dialling tone before dialling" option. This sometimes happens if the line has the 1571 BT answerphone service, and there is a message waiting, which results in a different diel tone.

dowson 21:38 31 Oct 03

Tried it, it was the first thing i thought of.
Thanks anyway...........

Plz Help......some one must know!!!!!!

DieSse 21:57 31 Oct 03

Is the modem set to the correct country code in the control panel?

Is there a dial tone on the line where it enters the modem - check with a telephone.

If there are two sockets on the back of the modem - are you plugging into the one marked LINE (the correct one).

Are you using the cable that came with the modem - some are wired differently.

Could also be a faulty modem!

dowson 22:03 31 Oct 03

Yes,
Yes,
Yes,
Yes,
Maybe (last one)

But if it was faulty modem wouldn't windows recognise

woodchip 22:10 31 Oct 03

Port or IRQ are the main problems with Modems, Is it set to the Port that the instructions say that it should be on. Also check the modem and manual to see if there are any jumpers on it to change the above. Look in the Devise Manager to see if there are any conflicts

woodchip 22:10 31 Oct 03

PS also try another modem cable

DieSse 22:24 31 Oct 03

Windows can be quite happy with a modem that is only faulty at the telephone line end.

Have a careful look inside the telephone socket in the modem - it's not unknown for one of the sprung connection pins to "jump a slot" and short out with another one.

DieSse 22:26 31 Oct 03

Also - if there are two sockets, and you plug a telephone into the other one - can you still hear the tone on the 'phone - if you can then the sockets themselves should be OK.

dowson 22:45 31 Oct 03

i'll try it out tommorow

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…